Tall Rig vs. Standard Rig

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 26, 2008
Catalina 30 Marathon, FL
My wife and I are talking about moving up from our Catalina 22 to a Catalina 30. We'll be cruising not racing our C30, day sails, long weekends and the occasional week long vacation cruise. This year we'll be keeping it at the Jersey Shore, but we may move it to the Chesapeake next season. I was wondering if I could get some feedback from Catalina 30 owners about the real sailing and sail handling differences between the tall rig and the standard rig. If I find a really nice standard rig, is it worth holding out for a tall rig or are the real world differences minor? Thanks in advance, Jim

Nov 12, 2006
Catalina 36 Bainbridge Island
Differences are minor, unless

You are a racer, but even then the ratings are different as well. If you are constantly sailing in very light winds a tall rig will be a little more satisfying. The difference is a 2 foot taller mast, a slightly larger foresail "J" measurement, and on some models (C34, C36, I'm not sure about the C30) a 1 foot longer "E" measurement (foot of main on boom).

B

Bob

Bow Sprit

Jim, We have 1988 Mark II model and feel the Mark II run is one of the best of the 30 production models. We have the tall rig with winged keel and I am pretty certain that the bow sprit is standard on the tall rig. I am not a racer so I cannot comment on performance, but I am pleased with the performance of the tall rig overall. If your a cruiser I do not think it would really matter if it were standard or tall, especially if your not racing; rather, its really how well kept the boat was and of course the price. Bob

Jan 4, 2006
Catalina 36 MKII Buford, Ga.
not a big difference, buy the...

Jim, I had the same question and concern a couple years ago before buying my std. rig C-30. If your not racing, the feedback from this forum was to buy the best boat in the best condition and price. I looked at many and narrowed it down to two. Finally I chose a newer std. rig with a walkthru transom vs. an older tall rig. There are some light wind days that I wished I had the tall rig, but the std rig moves fine. I don't regret my decision one bit. Bt the way the mainsail luff measurement(P)is 2 feet longer for the tall rig and the foot (E) is only 6 inches longer.

May 23, 2004
I'm in the market as were . Colonial Beach
One other fact

The tall rig has a better ancor arrangement. With the bow sprit you can keep the ancor on the ancor roller. I am glad that I have the tall rig and it is a nice set up.

Jun 4, 2004
Catalina 30mkIII Elk Rapids, MI.
Tall rig

I think I have the best of both worlds! I have a 1996 MKIII tall rig that I removed the bow sprit so I could fit in a 30 slip. Boat sails just fine, especially in the Great Lakes light wind summers. In stiffer winds, the boat handles like a dream if you put in the first reef in steady winds ABOVE 16 knots. The next step is to partially furl the 155 genoa just a tad when winds hit 20 knots. In those conditions, the boat will be heeled about 15-17 degrees and you can hold the wheel with a couple of fingers. My 33lb Bruce anchor fits on the standard rig bow roller, with the shank fitting just under the anchor locker lid. For us the biggest advantage of a newer boat (94 or later) is the full walk thru transom. Getting in and out of dingys and getting the dog in and out makes it worth its wait in gold! Other than the walk thru issue, I would buy either a tall or std. if it were the cleanest best equipped I could find! We have owned the boat for almost 8 years and for us, the Catalina 30 is the perfect boat. fair winds Dave

Jan 4, 2006
Catalina 36 MKII Buford, Ga.
anchor roller

My delta anchor fits perfect and stays on my std. rig bow roller. No doubt, IF I had the exact same boats available (year, condition, features) I would choose the tall rig also. It will move better in light air given more sail area (and the bow sprit looks good!). I didn't have that scenario available when I was looking and I am not dissapointed with the std rig. I valued the walk thru more than a tall rig without the walk thru. For what its worth, I'd still be waiting for a late model tall rig with a walk thru. Given that you are a cruiser, I would buy the best boat with the most important features to you and the Admiral. Hope this helps!

Status
Not open for further replies.