Tall Rig Identification

Dec 16, 2019
Catalina Catalina 30 Chelsea, NY
Hi All,

I'm looking to purchase a 30 from 1985. The charity from which I would be purchasing does not know much about the boat and specifically they do not know if it is a tall rig. I can't get to the boat to measure the mast. Are there any other signs that could tell me it is a tall rig? Can I figure it out from the HIN/serial number?

Thanks All,

Cheers,
-Martin

Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
Unk if you/we/I can tell the difference but I bet Catalina might be able to assist you.

1-727-544-6681 give's the HIN and see what happens...

Jan 21, 2009
Catalina 30 Lake Perry, KS
There isn't a way of telling for sure unless you measure the mast height , main luff. or forestay length. The
tall rigs have a bowsprit but I think there may have been some standard rigs that also had a bowsprit. Not sure about that. I would call Catalina who may be able to tell you for sure.

Jun 25, 2004
Corsair F24 Mk1 003 San Francisco Bay, CA
The mast extrusion on the C30 STandard rig was 40’ in length, not counting the masthead fittings or the mast foot casting. The mast extrusion on the C30 tall rig was 42’ in length.

As a sailmaker, I collected lots of obscure info over the years. :)

judy B

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
The C20 came I two normal configurations. Standard without the bow sprit and Tall with bow sprit but you could also order one with tall rig without bow sprit and standard rig with bow sprit. Such fun. The only way I know of is to measure the mast height.