Take a Beneteau offshore ???

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jeff

I own a 1989 Beneteau Oceanus 500. Love the boat. I respect Nigel Calder and just bought his new "Cruising Handbook". Certainly a great brochure for Pacific Seacraft. Based on his concepts of the perfect cruising boat I am concerned about going offshore in my Beneteau. Not because of my own experiences but rather because of what such a learned "expert" seems to imply about the design - especially about its winged keel and lighter displacement. I want other opinions. Are all Beneteaus offshore capable or incapable. IE: safe to take offshore? Jeff

L

Larry W.

Bene offshore

Jeff; I have a '94 OC400 an am planning a trip to Hawaii. I have full confidence in the boat. A friend of mine has a Bene 51 that he has taken thru the Canal and all through the Caribbean. The boat is up to it and more.

J

John Farrugia

offshore beneteau

I own a 1993 Moorings 510. She went to the Carribean from France and we just brought her from Tortola to San Salvador bahamas and on to the Upper Chesapeake Bay. We sailed thru Tropical storm Allisons tentacles in 10 - 12 foot seas and she handled like a dream. My experience is not based on Nigel Calders info , just some personal experience. We had no breakdowns or mishaps along the journey.

R

rob lennon

no probs

jeff, I have your exact boat, and have sailed from australia, to windward across the pacific, and down the west coast into the carib - 24000 miles over the past 18 months! and 2 handed. we have seen all sorts of weather, including 36 hours of 50 to 70 knots and 35 feet seas! i have been extremely impressed and happy with the performance of the boat, experiencing few problems, and i am certainly not concerned about the strength of the boat or the displacement. the boat is very stable. i would conssider a couple of things - the headsail turning blocks are not strongly anchored to the hull, and i got some fairly beefy aluminum plates made up and bolted through to these which in turn bolt through a strengtheniong crossstrut which you will find in the rope locker. i would also consider the same for the baby stay anchor point. i also put new rod rigging on the boat before we left. there is some concern with US built beneteaus as to hull strength and thickness i believe - the only problems i have encountered with other boats have been US built boats, but all the BVI certified boats are extremely strong. we had friends with the same boat as well drove it onto a submerged rock at 9knots in tonga, and apart from a scratch or two in the keel, no movement or hull/keel damage resulted. i would be happy to answer any other questions you may have. rob_lennon@hotmail.com. ps thx for the advice on the rudder bearing contact

J

Jeff Taylor

390 a problem offfshore

I had read that the only boat design that Beneteau built that posed a problem was the Oceanis 390. I seem to remember the problem was the hull weight and keel when the boat could not right itself in knockdown.

S

Sam E. Ting

How are the boats rated?

Does Beneteau build and certify their "passage" boats to a CE Certification? It would seem that a "CE "A" Certification would answer the question as that would dictate construction, hardware, etc. for offshore sailing use.

R

rob lennon

how boats are rated

beneteaus built in france are given/rated a BVI certification (bureau veritas) which is a safety and construction conformity rating - you can find more information on their website

Status
Not open for further replies.