TAK-tenna

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
I ordered the TAK-tenna last week and it arrived either Thursday or Friday. I assembled the beast on Saturday and got it in position for testing. The document states to resonate the antenna at 7.2 MHz, which I did. The document also states the antenna can operate on other ham bands if a tuner is used. Orientation of the antenna can be horizontal at a minimum of 20 feet or vertical as low as 2 feet off the ground. Mine is about 13 feet and in the vertical position.

There is an old addage in ham radio; if you can hear it you can work it. Problem is I can't hear anything. Well, I did work one station in Congress Arizona on 40 meters and he gave me a 59 report. I looked at the meter on my Kenwood TS-50 and he was a 58/59. So I was hearing something.

However, I hear repeaters on 10 meters but cannot open any of them. Now that is depressing. On top of that, I am not hearing anything good on 20 meters.

So, did I waste money? Probably. Would I recommend this antenna? Probably not. My next experiment would be a 20 meter mobile stick with a simple ground plane. Can't go wrong with that. Or even better, a pair of sticks set up as a short dipole. Hmmm...

The reason I am trying these low profile antennas is for space limitations. And... I want to use it on my boat. For reasons already listed, see the thread Let's Talk Antennas Again.

Overall, I don't think the TAK-tenna works. But then again, I might not be hitting the bands when they are open. Who knows? I will keep the antenna up and try some more, but I need to start looking for another antenna project. I want to try a double bazooka on 10 and 20 meters but again, space.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
I wouldn't draw any conclusions yet with only limited operating time Brian. Then again, it is only a vertical so I wouldn't expect miracles on a dead band.

Feb 17, 2006
True, Don. I did work another station from Arizona tonight. And I actually heard activity on 20m. But can't access any 10m repeaters. I'll keep playing with it, but I still wouldn't recommend it unless one has absolutely not antenna at all. LOL

Mar 12, 2008
Jeanneau 49 DS San Pedro, CA
Hey Brian, I have a friend that used his Tak-tenna a lot. He lived in an area with an HOA, so there were antenna limitations. His comments were that the antenna worked reasonably well, and he made some good contacts on 20 and 40 meters. He ended up selling it, but only because he got a deal on a SteppIR, and figured a way around the restrictions.

As Don pointed out, the bands have been very quiet lately. You might want to give it a little more time.

Feb 17, 2006
Yeah, I'll keep playing around with the beast. I was looking around this evening and ran across an Isotronic antenna. I forgot about those little buggers. I do remember them but the name slipped my mine. Might give one of them a try. LOL

Oh the fun of ham radio.

Oct 6, 2009
Custom Bluehull Kennesaw, Ga.
How about using an Outback or a Tarheal mobile mounted on the mast?

Feb 17, 2006
I was looking at the Tarheel today at their website. But there was another one, an Opek HVT-400B (http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/hamantm/5066.html). So there are a few possible solutions. I will check on the Outback. I have heard of that antenna but cannot remember any details.

Who knows, if the bands open up I might be able to test the TAK-tenna and see if it will do better.

Oct 6, 2009
Custom Bluehull Kennesaw, Ga.
Hey Brian, did you come up with a fix for your ant ? also, you can use your laptop to connect to D-Star repeaters around the world. 73, Jerry KD4LZL

Feb 17, 2006
Sully, sorry for a long pause here. The fix is to put it in the trash. LOL. Didn't do that yet but I am sure that is what will happen. Lesson learned. When I get back home, I will figure something out. Just needs a little time and a little more research.

Status
Not open for further replies.