Tacking Singlehanded in C30

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Brad Elbein

I have a question for all of you who sail larger boats singlehanded. How do you tack? So far, in a year and a half of owning my C30, my solo tacking average is about 50% crisp tacks, and about 50% accidental jibes, donuts, near-broaches. Here are my two tactics: With autopilot: I stand in the forward part of the cockpit, hit the "auto-tack" feature on the autopilot, then handle the jib sheets. This works most of the time, except when the autopilot tacks through 180 degrees, (which is, unfortunately most of the time, and which has given me some nice practice in handling accidental jibes). When I'm not using the autopilot, I steer the boat through a tack, and when we're through and the jib is backwinded, I then put on the wheel brake, go forward and handle the jib sheets. DOES ANYBODY HAVE ANY BETTER METHOD THAN THIS?

B

Bill Neilson

Come About -No Hands on Deck

I lock my helm. While standing in fornt of the wheel, I make ready my headsail sheets.I reach back and unlock my wheel with sheets in hand. I yell out loud, "hard a lee" even though I'm the only one who can hear it. Spin the helm to take her through the wind. Lock my helmafter I'm on my new tack. Secure my sheets. Return to the wheel. Practice in light winds. You'll get the knack in no time.

M

Mike Elmore

single handed tack

Even with people onboard, i'm sailing single handed most of the time. =) Pretty close to the last post...I do it all except for the final genoa trim from behind the helm...Windward Hull's a C28 and I can easily reach the winches from there. With active sheet off the self tailing band (just 2 turns on the winch) and the soon to be active sheet tail on the helm seat (a couple turns around the winch already) I start the tack. When the genoa is backwinded I cowboy flip the now lazy sheet off the winch and grab and pull the now active sheet like hell while coming to the new heading. I then lock the helm with the brake and put the final trim on the new active sheet. After a couple tries to get the exact timing of the "release switch and pull" you'll get it fine. I have an old Autohelm3000 with no tacking feature so I have to do it manually each time. Mike Elmore Windward Hull-C28 Hull #7

C

Chuck

Tack and Attack

I have raced my Catalina 30 single handed, and in winds less than 12 can usually finish near the front. The key is to anticipate and to be smooth. I start by putting just a little drag on the wheel brake, lowering the traveller (anticipating that it will be to windward after the tack) then gently rolling the wheel into the tack, but not through the whole tack. The boat will finish the tack itself and not over tack, if you are not aggressive in the tack itself. It is actually better as the boat will not lose much velocity the smoother the tack. Don't worry about perfect sail trim. You can adjust the trim after the boat is up to full speed and on course. Another key is self-tailing winches. Having them is like having another set of hands.

M

Mike s/v Chute the Breeze

Smooth tack

Brad, It sounds like I'm in line with Chuck steady but sure and keep up your speed. I also use autotack which works great for me but no st winchs:-( an old C-38 #169).I use the auto to do the tack and a rough trim and then get back behind my wheel and zero in my heading, then finish up triming. I think my auto tack is set for 105 deg turn you can set it up for what you need..default is 100deg's I think.. I don't understand going through a 180?? Mike

B

Bob Camarena

No Problem with a Soling Rig

I sail in the SF Bay Delta. Most of our sailing is in the San Joaquin River and the Delta's many canals and sloughs. Most of the boats in our club are set up with some form of self-tending jib, either a club-footed jib or a Soling rig (adopted from the Soling Olympic class boat) which sheets the jib to a car running on a curved track forward of the mast. There's a single sheet leading from the car to the cockpit with 4:1 purchase (winch needed only for fine trim in higher winds). I like the Soling rig since it allows for better sail trim. Clearly you give up boat speed vs using a genoa, but in our area this is offset by the ability to tack quickly and accurately. Just think, no sheets to tend unless you're altering your point of sail. In the Bay, with it's high winds, I often do better than many of the boats with reefed roller furling genoas. For those of you that often sail in narrow quarters or short-handed, it's something to consider.

Status
Not open for further replies.