Tabernacle design

Oct 16, 2019
Grampian 26 Fifty Point Stoney Creek
I am thinking on building a tabernacle to make it easier to raise the mast and like the idea of the ComPac SunCat where the hinge is above the gooseneck and the boom and sail can be left on the boat and reduces the time to get the boat rigged and in the water.
Can someone post pictures of the system? How is it attached to the boat to spread the load on the deck?
I have a Sandpiper 565 and the deck has no core, it is just fiberglass and it flexes quite a bit.

Jun 12, 2021
Hunter 240 Aqualand Marina, Lake Lanier
I never noticed the tabernacle on the pictures of the SunCat. I can appreciate you wanting to be able to not have to remove the boom. We did that last week to lower the mast on our Hunter 240. It took time to remove the sail cover and main sheet, pull the sail slides out of the mast, remove the goose neck bolt, and put the boom on the dock. The Menger Cat 19 is set up the way you want it. I looked a photos of the Sandpiper 565. That is a very cute boat. Anything is possible but I wouldn't try adding a tabernacle without adding a compression post which would make the cabin less accessible. All boats are compromises just like airplanes and motorcycles. If you are determined to go ahead I would look at modifying the gooseneck in order that it could hinge up so you could tie the boom to the mast.
I think that the smart thing is to be happy with what you have. That being said, I can not begin to list all the changes that I have made to my boat. Some of us just like to fiddle with things.

Oct 16, 2019
Grampian 26 Fifty Point Stoney Creek
Why would adding a tabernacle require a compression post? The boat was designed with a beam across the boat under the mast. I can't see how adding a tabernacle changes the load on the deck. The tighter you have the stays the more load on the deck.

Jun 12, 2021
Why would adding a tabernacle require a compression post? The boat was designed with a beam across the boat under the mast. I can't see how adding a tabernacle changes the load on the deck. The tighter you have the stays the more load on the deck.
You make an excellent point concerning the compression loads. I was thinking about the additional weight and leverage of the design of the mount for the low end of the mast. The ones I have seen are heavy and several feet tall with the mast hinge high enough to provide cockpit/cabin top clearance when the mast is horizontal. Most boats don't have hinged bars on each side of the mast like the H240 and H260 to keep the mast from falling sideways when being lowered and raised. I envisioned a compression post with added reinforcement under the deck for through bolting the tabernacle down. It may not be an issue, but that is where I was coming from.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Here a version of a hinge that keeps the off the deck for towing. Probably pretty easy to do. I took the pic at a Florida rest stop. The boat is well suited to gunk holing in Florida's shallow back bays. Better bring the DEET!
IMG_0433.JPG

I believe that Mud Hen is the boat model not the name of this boat.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
The reason a compression post or additional support under the mast/tabernacle is in here.

I have a Sandpiper 565 and the deck has no core, it is just fiberglass and it flexes quite a bit.
The deck is already flexing and should probably be supported by a compression post or bulkhead to stop the flexing. You'll also need to consider the loads on the deck from the tabernacle while raising and lowering the mast, especially the side loading if things go a little awry. The mast base will also need to be secured so that the loads are on the shrouds and step while sailing and not on the tabernacle.

Jun 12, 2021
Here a version of a hinge that keeps the off the deck for towing. Probably pretty easy to do. I took the pic at a Florida rest stop. The boat is well suited to gunk holing in Florida's shallow back bays. Better bring the DEET!
View attachment 222411

I believe that Mud Hen is the boat model not the name of this boat.

That reminds me of some the Bill Atkin small double ended sloops. I like a hard chine on small boats.