T3800 - Location of Macerator Pump?

NLPete

Apr 20, 2021
Walker Bay 10 Conception Bay
I have a 97 Tartan 3500 and the macerator pump is directly aft of the outboard edge of the holding tank, which is under the quarter berth on the port side.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
I have a 97 Tartan 3500 and the macerator pump is directly aft of the outboard edge of the holding tank, which is under the quarter berth on the port side.
Thank you! I assume mine's pretty close to the tank. I don't have a quarter berth, the head is to port and aft; but the aft cabin bunk extends to port, under the cockpit and aft of the head. I haven't looked closely, but I think some panels may be removable, and might reveal the pump.

PJI

Jun 10, 2020
Tartan 3800 Maple Bay
I am guessing you sorted this? I had mine replaced on my T3800 too - it is behind the holding tank. You may be able to access it by removing the hatch at the end of the quarter berth and leaning across the transom or in my case had to move the hot water heater in the cockpit locker .

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
I am guessing you sorted this?
No! :)
You may be able to access it by removing the hatch at the end of the quarter berth and leaning across the transom or in my case had to move the hot water heater in the cockpit locker .
Yikes. I might just live without it.

One thing I want to try is reversing the polarity to the motor and seeing if I can break it free. But, the wiring is kinda tight. If I do it I might install a reversing switch, and operate it both ways on a schedule.

PJI

Jun 10, 2020
Tartan 3800 Maple Bay
On mine the motor was spinning but just wasn't doing anything. When I found out the location I cheated and had the yard do it!

PJI

Jun 10, 2020
Tartan 3800 Maple Bay
Aft of the holding tank. If you go in via the quarter berth and remove the panel on the bulkhead at the foot (may have to remove the fibreglass cover over the steering gear at the bottom of the steering pedestal) and look across past the steering quadrant you may see the macerator pump - or part of it. The guy that replaced mine moved the new one further aft so I can reach it from the q berth without having to go in via the cockpit locker next time if needed. Not a lot of room though!

Aug 8, 2023
Tartan 3800 Beaufort, NC - Currently
JVISS, I'm assuming you found the location of the pump? In our 3800, it is in the transom just in front of the rudder post, favoring the port side. It's a bit of a pain to get to. Mine is getting replaced this season as we are currently on the hard.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
You do realize there are two ends to every wire, right?
Really? Gee, I learn something new every day. :)

But, not so easy to trace a wire to the load on this boat. The wires from the panel just disappear, up into a bundle that's in a corrugated tube. And since mine doesn't turn at all, I can't search for the noise.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
JVISS, I'm assuming you found the location of the pump? In our 3800, it is in the transom just in front of the rudder post, favoring the port side. It's a bit of a pain to get to. Mine is getting replaced this season as we are currently on the hard.
Thank you! No, I've been living without. I would only rarely pump the tank overboard anyway. Yes, that space is near impossible to reach. Do you know if taking off the teak ply panels in the aft bunk would expose it?

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Yes, but a red and a black, probably 14 or 12 gauge, disappear from the panel up into that corrugated tube.
You told us you were an electrician.
You have a breaker that has two wires correctly color coded.
They come from the macerator pump breaker, if I understand your response properly.
Then they should go TO the macerator pump at the other end of the two wires where you claim you have limited space.
Is there any reason to believe there is anything else on those wires between the breaker and the pump?
What does the corrugated tube, i.e., conduit have to do with it at all?
If not, why not simply reverse the wires at the breaker to do what you want to do?

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
You told us you were an electrician.
You have a breaker that has two wires correctly color coded.
They come from the macerator pump breaker, if I understand your response properly.
Then they should go TO the macerator pump at the other end of the two wires where you claim you have limited space.
Is there any reason to believe there is anything else on those wires between the breaker and the pump?
What does the corrugated tube, i.e., conduit have to do with it at all?
If not, why not simply reverse the wires at the breaker to do what you want to do?
I'm not an electrician, I'm an electrical engineer.

I didn't know what you were getting at, Stu. I thought you were saying I could locate the pump by following the wires.

Yes, I wanted to reverse them to try to spin the motor backwards and potentially free it up, but the panel is tight where that breaker is, and it would be a big job to disconnect and swap the wires; and, I wasn't sufficiently motivated to do it, and it wasn't at the top of the priority list.