T Valve for Seacock Inlet to 5411

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 13, 2012
Catalina 30 Steppingstone, NY
Hi all-

I just performed my first engine winterization and for next year would like to install a T-Valve which would allow me to switch between "Seacock" and "Winterization Line" (to my bucket). Can anyone suggest some hardware products, or even an image of what they have come up with?

Thanks,
Alex
PrimeTime

Jan 13, 2012
Catalina 30 Steppingstone, NY
forums.sbo.sailboatowners.com/showthread.php?p=970802&highlight

Thanks Ralph.. that was helpful.

Would this be an appropriate option as well (image attached)?
Going directly into the raw water strainer? If so what would that adapter be called which connects the raw water strainer to basically a hose from the bucket? Is that something I can order or would have to piece together?

Thanks,
Alex K.

Attachments

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
Some of Us are Just Born Lucky .................

Thanks Ralph.. that was helpful.

Would this be an appropriate option as well (image attached)?
Going directly into the raw water strainer? If so what would that adapter be called which connects the raw water strainer to basically a hose from the bucket? Is that something I can order or would have to piece together?

Thanks,
Alex K.
.................... with a setup like yours. 90% of your work is complete.

I'm not 100% clear on whether you want to keep this assembly in place as a permanent installation or intend to install each time you winterize the engine. The one thing for sure is that the shiny bronze piece on the top of the strainer stays. Correct ? ? ?

My recommendation would be for a temporary installation as you don't appear to have too much headroom above your strainer. It looks like 1 -2 inches at best. The first step is to make this as quick and easy as possible. No mess, no sea water, no antifreeze in your socks.

1. Remove the brass, short piece of pipe (called a nipple) and the rest of the assembly from the top of the strainer.
  2. Install a new, very short brass nipple (called a close nipple) into the top of the strainer. Use teflon tape to seal the threads.
  3. Now install a bronze ball valve on the close nipple.
  4. Screw in a bronze pipe plug into the top of the valve for safety.
The write up is far worse than the actual installation of the valve. You will now have a permanent setup which will enable you to quickly install your winterizing gadget into the top of the valve each winter with no mess.

Now, having said all this, if you don't have any problem with sea water or antifreeze running out all over your socks each time you set up to winterize, don't bother with the valve installation. Just remove your winterizing gadget and put a pipe plug in its place each time and you're finished.

If you want to install this adapter as a permanent installation, PM me and I'll send a sketch.

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.