System Ground

Mar 19, 2020
Hunter 30 Bayview, Id
I have a 1989 Hunter 30. does anyone know if their is a main "System" ground for the boat? Ive traced the battery ground to the starter but I am wondering if there is a main grounding bus or something.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I’ll start with a welcome to the Forum @Skipper7E

My first inclination is to say “of course” but it sounds like this is a previously owned boat, having looked at your resume of boats and sailing certificates, you would know that Owners sometimes modify their boats.

The normal configuration would be to have the ground go to the motor.

Do you have a starter battery and a house battery bank?

It sounds like you will need to start by mapping out your electrical system. I’d start with the motor and work from there. Should be a large wire running from there to the house battery perhaps with a ground bar near where it connects to the battery.

Did the owner give you a copy of the Hunter Manual? That would help. You can find a copy on line. Always good to have another Washington Sailor here on the forum.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
What John said. My Hunter has a small DC buss behind the switch panel. I added a DC ground battery buss near my batteries when I upgraded my charger.

Mar 19, 2020
Hunter 30 Bayview, Id
Thank you both for the feed back. I agree about mapping it out.
I do have both a start and a house bank. The ground from the starter goes to the house battery and then to the negative on the start battery.
I did get a manual but there's nothing showing the main grounding point. I too have the small bus behind the switch panel, and I'm with you on adding the ground buss for the DC batteries.

Thanks again for the input!

Mike 7E

Attachments