Synthetic Rigging

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
That is a very nicely done video. Thanks for sharing.

He mentions the load strength of the dyneme ... do we know the load rating of the friction rings?

Tedd

Jul 25, 2013
TES 246 Versus near Vancouver, BC
... do we know the load rating of the friction rings?
Good question! I notice that Selden lists a maximum line size and also gives a 2:1 "safe working load" factor, from which I infer that their rings are at least twice as strong as the working load of the maximum recommended line size.

AaronD

Aug 10, 2014
Catalina 22 9874 Newberg, OR / Olympia, WA
That is a very nicely done video. Thanks for sharing.

He mentions the load strength of the dyneme ... do we know the load rating of the friction rings?
LFRs are really strong (thus their frequent usage on IMOCAs, etc.) Antal rates their smallest (7mm) at 600 kg (1320 lbs), so somewhat higher than SWL of 1/8" SS wire. The 14mm is 1600 kg. And from there we get into ludicrous numbers (at least by trailer-sailer standards). Pretty sure other manufacturers' ratings are similar - see PS's Review.

• Helpful

AaronD

Aug 10, 2014
@Tedd. Thanks for posting this. I've been thinking occasionally about synthetic rigging for a few years now. I finally got around to watching the full video, so now I'll start responding (in a few posts).

There was a similar discussion a few months ago. I still stand by most of what I said in that one.

TL;DR Answer: Stainless is easier, and you won't save any money with synthetics. But there are lots of other reasons you still might want to consider synthetics - to avoid kinks, save weight aloft, etc. And some things to think about and learn before you start.

I think there are a couple more issues I didn't address in my post linked above. To be continued...

Last edited:

AaronD

Aug 10, 2014
Types of Dyneema

From Marlow
  • SK60 : Older formulation (I think original Amsteel was SK60?)
  • SK75 : Older standard; obsoleted by SK78
  • SK78 : The current standard. Considerably lower creep than SK75. Amsteel Blue is SK78, but is not heat-set.
  • SK90 (Obsoleted by SK99)
  • SK99 : 20% stronger than SK78, with the same creep.
  • DM20 : Not as strong as SK99, but essentially 0 creep (see below)
Creep numbers from DSM Dyneema (the manufacturer). Their test results load the fiber to 20% of its breaking strength, and report creep per year (% length increase if loaded at 20% BS for 1 year). 20% of BS is a pretty normal load for SS standing rigging, but likely higher than we'd spec synthetics.
  • SK75 : 2.3% / year
  • SK78 : 0.5% / year
  • DM20 : 0.0%

AaronD

Aug 10, 2014
Terminators / Connectors

Good terminators purpose-built for this task aren't cheap. Usually a little more expensive than Hayn or Hi-Mod connectors for stainless wire (synthetic terminators and stainless screw-style can both be reused when you want to re-rig, so no difference there).

Bending line reduces its strength (there's no way to avoid this). An eye at the end of a line includes 2 strands, so we can afford a fair amount of loss. @thinwater's testing for Practical Sailor indicates that Dyneema single-braid is full-strength at a line : pin ratio of 1:1 (e.g. 1/4" line eye spliced around a 1/4" pin or shackle)
If anybody has other options to add to that list, I'll edit this post and add them.

AaronD

Aug 10, 2014
I have a daysailer (Chrysler Mutineer 15) and Catalina 22, and I've thought about re-rigging each with synthetics. I'll use my C-22 rigging for all examples here, approximated to:
  • 15' lowers and 30' uppers.
  • Standard rigging = 1/8" 316 SS. Breaking strength ~1670 lbs (304 would be slightly higher).
  • Regular working load of cap shrouds: ~240 lbs (~15% of BS)
  • (Scale as needed for your own boat.)
I think I'd spec 5/32" / 4mm heat-set Dyneema, with a BS of ~4k lbs (one size up from the normal 1/8" SS). So that would load the shrouds at ~6% of BS. Maybe that's overly conservative.

Dyneema has many advantages, and I won't reiterate them here. But we do have some complexities - especially about getting the shroud lengths correct and keeping them there. We have at least 5 issues (I've tried to use standard names for these where I can find them; correct me if there's a better name and I'll edit this post).

2 Issues during Construction:

1. Construction Stretch: Lines may experience a one-time stretch when initially loaded. I believe this is mostly handled by the manufacturer's heat-treating process (heat while pre-stretching the line). Note that not all Dyneema is heat-treated. I think we probably want to spend the $$ for heat-treated line.
  2. Splicing Set: Our splices will extend as they're tensioned for the first time. I'm not sure just how long this takes (minutes? hours?) IICU, professional riggers might have a winch system integrated into their rigging bench to hold a line at a % of its rated load for awhile to properly bed splices. I have a 3200-lb 2-speed trailer winch allocated for this purpose when I get there. Maybe I'll get a load cell too - recommendations welcome.
And we have 4 issues while in use:
  1. Elastic Extension: The line will stretch when loaded, and contract when unloaded. This happens quickly - seconds perhaps? Essentially instantaneous? Not sure.
  2. Viscoelastic Extension: Additional stretch / contraction that takes place over a longer time period. Hours? Days? I'd love to know.
    1. If I'm reading correctly, Marlow (Fig 1) indicates that Elastic + Viscoelastic extension total ~0.5% at 10% of breaking strength.
  3. Creep: Over a long time period, loaded lines will permanently enlongate. This happens at the molecular level, and releasing the load doesn't reverse the process. This has been a big obstacle to synthetic rigging in keelboats.
    1. Even while the boat is sitting idle at the dock, the rigging is stretching, so it has to be re-tuned regularly. And, eventually, we run out of turnbuckle travel. Thus the frequent use of lashings in place of turnbuckles.
    2. I think this is mostly eliminated by DM20 (see the post above); even for a moored boat, and especially for a trailer sailer that will be rigged at most a few weeks per year.
  4. Temperature Response: Unlike most materials, Dyneema actually extends when cold and shrinks when hot. So the rigging might be slack in the morning and tight in the afternoon. So far as I know, there's not much to do about this except to watch it and re-tune as appropriate.
Personally, I think I'm no longer worried about creep - newer fibers have made that less of an issue. For my daysailer, I might try SK78. She's only rigged for a few hours at a time, a few days per year. And I have about 3" of available adjustment for 20' shrouds, so I think I can safely ignore creep at 0.5% per year of time under tension. For our C-22, I might be able to get away with SK78, but I'll go for DM20; my loosely-considered advice is to do the same. DM20 is more expensive, but not that much more.

Elastic and Viscoelastic Extension are more troubling to me. Imagine we've arrived at a destination and started to rig.
  • Since our last trip, elastic and viscoelastic extension have both recovered, so the shrouds are ~0.5% short (uppers ~1.8"; lowers ~0.9").
  • To step the mast on a C-22, we have to disconnect the forward lower shrouds.
  • We will usually use some sort of winch or block and tackle to pull the mast upright. That will stretch the uppers and rear lowers (recovering the between-trip shrinkage).
  • But the forward lowers must be reconnected by hand. So we need enough travel in our turnbuckles or lashings to connect to the chainplates and then to re-stretch them ~0.9".
    • My standard turnbuckles have about 2" of travel. So if I spliced my lines to the perfect length, I still have about half the travel for rig tuning. But if I'm off by only 1/2" on the shroud length, I'm down to about 1/2" of turnbuckle travel. Maybe longer turnbuckles or lashings are in order for those.
And the temperature response is an open issue in my mind. I'll have to think more about that one... Comments or real-world experience welcome!

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
2 Issues during Construction:

1. Construction Stretch: Lines may experience a one-time stretch when initially loaded. I believe this is mostly handled by the manufacturer's heat-treating process (heat while pre-stretching the line). Note that not all Dyneema is heat-treated. I think we probably want to spend the $$ for heat-treated line.
  2. Splicing Set: Our splices will extend as they're tensioned for the first time. I'm not sure just how long this takes (minutes? hours?) IICU, professional riggers might have a winch system integrated into their rigging bench to hold a line at a % of its rated load for awhile to properly bed splices. I have a 3200-lb 2-speed trailer winch allocated for this purpose when I get there. Maybe I'll get a load cell too - recommendations welcome.
It’s somewhat of a different scale, but I redid my sailing dinghy rigging with synthetic a couple years ago and had to deal with some of those issues. I used ratchet straps to prestretch the dyneema after splicing so that it would be pretty stable once on the boat.

I was using 1/8” SK-78. I made the first eye splice, and marked a planned middle of the second eye splice 126” away. By the time I finished the splice, with the extra bulk of the bury it ended up being 124 1/2” hand tight. After stretching that for 16 hours it was out to 128 3/4” under tension. Once off the ratchets it came to 127 1/2” hand tight. Since it’s a sailing dinghy I can’t say much for the long term creep, but that might give some insight on the construction amounts.

• Helpful
Apr 8, 2011
Hunter 40 Deale, MD
Neophyte on this subject, but I wonder about whether chafe is a much bigger issue with synthetic rigging - or if that's not the case with modern materials? If so how is it dealt with, and how much extra effort is that VS stainless rigging?

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Thank you for reminding me where that video came from. It was good. If I had a trailerable sailboat I would switch to synthetics for the reason I wouldn't have to deal with the wires stays and shrouds coiling and uncoiling as the mast is dropped or raised. And they would store more easily for transport.