Swing Keel?

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Royce

I have a 1976 h30 with the shoal draft. (4') The center of the keel looks like it is hollow and filled with something. I think this keel was used on the swing keel boats and I was wondering if it is possible to add the swing keel back? Has anyone done this? Thanks for the help. Royce

J

Joe Mascari

Swing Keel

Hi I just posted a question on the regular Hunter Forum asking general info on the swing keel. It would seem that if your boat had a swing keel in the past or if one was in the hollow of the keel you would have some evidence such as a pipe fitting (probably glassed over) in the bildge also if someone wanted to eliminate the swing keel I would think that removing it would be a hassle, so its probably still up there. Good Luck -

H

hp

technically called a center board

I could be mistaken, but I believe what you are referring to is a "center board". A true swing keel is typically very heavy, being loaded with ballast. A center board, like the one that came on the early Cherubini Hunter 30s is weighted just enough to pull the board down. The swing keel on a C-22 weighs approx 700 lbs, is made of solid cast iron, and requires a winch to raise and lower it.

G

swing keel

Do you have a winch on the cabin top? or a stainless pipe running from the inside of the cabin top to the bilge? If so, you either have, or had a swing keel that weighs about 400-500 lbs up in that void you talked about, unless someone removed it. I have one on my 1975 H30. I draw 4 feet with it up and about 6 feet wwith it down. check the bilge to see if there is evidence of it being glassed over if the pipe is not running inside the cabin. If there is a pipe there (running from the cabin ceiling to the bilge, check where it attaches to the bilge. this is a source of leaks because it is attached with a rubber hose. If the hose breaks, its davy jones locker for your pride and joy. good luck Barry

C

Cecil

Owner modified ?

Royce, I plan to have my H -30 hauled next month for much out of the water work, will take measurements of the swing keel, location of through hull, etc if you like and e mail them to you or post on HOW.I suspect somewhere along the line a previous owner did away with the keel and hardware for some unknown reason.I see nothing that prevents you from putting it back, it would be interesting to see how much/ often the swing keel is lowered by other H 30 owners. Later Cecil ctiller@net-change.com

C

Cecil

Measurements

Royce, I will measure the pin etc, when she is hauled(next month), amazing that the keel was never installed. Does she ride high in the water?, maybe the weight of the swing keel didn`t effect the trim. Have never sailed mine(bought as a fixer upper ) for my retirement, have read that it helps point higher when lowered, then also told by one owner he never lowered his. No e-mail address in your message so will post the measurements here. Later Cecil

Status
Not open for further replies.