swing keel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 16, 2008
Newport 21ft NPT Daytona Beach
I am new to sailing and just purchased a 1973 newport sailboat with a swing keel. My problem is I cant find the area where the swing keel can be brought up or lowered. Get ready cause I will have many other questions in the future. Where can I find a manual on this sailboat.
I thank you and happy sailing.
Jack

Dec 16, 2008
Newport 21ft NPT Daytona Beach
Looked in cockpit, no winch visible. Where the keel mount is, there is a small rope sticking out of a hole, seems to hold something heavy. Is it possible the wench has been removed. Where can I find an owner manual for this boat.

Jun 9, 2008
- -- -Bayfield
It's on the bulkhead

Looked in cockpit, no winch visible. Where the keel mount is, there is a small rope sticking out of a hole, seems to hold something heavy. Is it possible the wench has been removed. Where can I find an owner manual for this boat.
I assume you are talking about a Neptune 24 built by Capital Yachts in California (who also named some of their models Newport - like the 28 and 30). The boat doesn't have a conventional swing keel like most boats. It is not a weighted keel either. It is a drop keel that is lowered from the bulkhead which separates the main cabin from the forward cabin. The keel is attached to a pipe and it has a handle on it. You raise and lower the keel by simply lifting it up or down and pinning it in the up or down position. There are no winches or cleats. They described the keel as a "bilge board in a bilge board well with neutral buoyancy".

I don't have an owner's manual, but I do have some product info on the boat. I could mail you copies or fax them. Not sure how to go about that.

Status
Not open for further replies.