Swing Keel Winch

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Ralph

Suddenly I find that I need a winch fo my swing Keel. I remember that a owner reported finding a resonably priced winch that did the just very well. I would appreciate knowing the brand, model and place to purchase. Thanks

D

D Berube

Low cost winch

When I first got my Mac, it too needed a new winch! I went down to Wal Mart, and got a low cost trailer winch, able to lift the weight. The only modification I needed to make, was the handle had to be bent forward, just a bit, in order to clear the hatch entry way. The screw holes and everything else lined up perfectly! It works like a charm!

M

Mikecz

Keel winch needed

Go to Havencrafts site on the web. They have what you need. Get a new cable also. Macgregor winches are the friction type.

W

Walter Jones

Keel Winch

I found a exact replacement winch (same brand and model #) for my Mac at Tractor Supply for less than $50. Don't use a winch without a fricton clutch as someone will get wacked. They also have the cable but I had to swedge the loop in the end my self. The people at West Marine will let you do that with their tools at no cost.

R

Ralph

100% correct

I followed your suggestion and it worked out exactly as you said. Bought a 1500# trailer winch and installed it. It works and the cost was reasonable. Thanks for your help and to the others who also had good suggestions.

G

Ginger

How long do you expect this winch to last?

I am replacing my winch too. I was advised to protect it as well with a spray--Boeshield.

Status
Not open for further replies.