swing keel will not drop on Santana 21

Aug 3, 2022
Catalina 25 Marina Del Rey
...Take a piece of rebar and place it on the top lip of the keel and whack the rebar with a sledge hammer.
Thanks for the ideas. The rebar suggestion is great. More banging please. Let you know if we drop a 450lb deuce.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
We’re trying to avoid removing the hinge.
How did you remove the pivot pin with the bracket still up in the keel trunk? I am unable to imagine how that is possible.

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2022
How did you remove the pivot pit with the bracket still up in the keel trunk? I am unable to imagine how that is possible.
We jacked the keel slightly to take the weight off of the pivot bolt. The bolt is stainless and in very good shape. It came off with heat and tapping.

Jan 19, 2010
Oh I see it now.... what about the lift cable. Is it jamming up in there? Is it slack?

1659638863557.png

also...

1659639190106.png

Then do the whack with rebar through the lift cable hose opening.

Aug 3, 2022
Is it slack?
Rgranger,
Thanks for looking at the pics. Yes, there is slack in the cable. We tried many variations of jack placement as you suggested. The top of this keel is rounded, not doglegged so it isn’t resting in a housing recess. We jacked the tip of the keel to shift the load to the pivot area, expecting it to drop. We did this a few times and there was only 1/2” of downward movement.

Aug 3, 2022
“Then do the whack with rebar through the lift cable hose opening”

!!!!Success!!!!
Finally knocked the keel loose.
Of course that not the end of the story.
The pivot bolt is close to the edge and there is considerable rust. There is a curved piece of metal along the edge. We are wondering if this was a repair to reinforce the pivot hole?
657C6B6C-E397-45B0-919E-4C88D1445EDB.jpeg

Attachments

Jan 19, 2010
Glad you got the keel out. I think the curved piece of metal is a friction bar. I'd temporarily remove it and rebuild what remians of the keel hole with fiberglass reinforced epoxy. Then put the friction bar back in place.

Regarding the mast.... :yikes:

If you have a few inches of mast above your main when it is fully hoisted, an inexpensive way to get it working would be to cut off a few inches of the bottom of the mast... then to get the height back, by putting a block of equal length under the tabernackle... like in this diagram

1661135163361.png

Of course you will have to lower your gooseneck so the boom is at the right height.

If you don't have the height above the main to cut off a few inches of the mast, then try riveting an aluminum sleeve over the base of the mast (a splint) and drilling a new hole through the sleve for the tabernacle pin.