Swing Keel Stuck

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jeff Knipps

1984 MacGregor 25 swing keel will crank up only about 1/4 of the way. In these inland waters, it is desirable to be able to reduce your draft to a lot less than the 5 feet. I suspect rust.Is there a 'wet' fix for this?

R

Richard Wallace

Has The Keel Locking Bolt Been Removed?

The Mac 25 keel swings on a large stainless steel bolt. There can only be two reasons that the keep won't come up. My first check would be to make sure the keel locking bolt has been removed. If you are looking at the keel trunk, you will see two push in covers. The lower one is the keep pivot bolt, the upper one is the locking bolt. Go into the area below the dinette cushion and you will be able to see the pivot bolt low and close the the hull, and the other one is much smaller and up high. If there is a bolt in the upper hole, it will be your problem. If the locking bolt is not in place, then the problem is most likely the winch. I am guessing that you would find that the cable has mis-wrapped on the drum and will not wind up properly. More to the point, it may also refuse to unwind as well. Hope those ideas help.

Status
Not open for further replies.