Swing keel sticks, 25' Ericson

Status
Not open for further replies.

hm2010

Jan 24, 2010
Ericson 25 foot annapolis
Last season I bought a 1978 Ericson 25' with a swing keel, which tends to get stuck in the up position. I have had it shaved down a bit, and that's helped, but it still doesn't drop smoothly. Is this an engineering issue, or would some lubricant, like graphite, help out?

HM2010

Jan 26, 2010
Ericson Ericson25 Spry Bay Yacht Club
I've got the same problem. Had it for years. It's no fun diving under the boat in 50 degree water in Nova Scotia. I don't think it's the keel, but rather the trunk. The trunk is under water 24/7 so water intrusion may be the problem. I've got my boat out of the water so it should be dry by spring at which time I'll use carbon paper to see exactly where it binds, shave that down a bit and re-coat with fiberglass. Then I'll lubricate it.
I'd be interested in hearing what you or others have to say.

Oct 27, 2006
- - Harpswell, Maine
As I was doing the bottom (sand, bottom paint, & check swing keel) after buying my 25, I saw the 1/2" stainless pivot pin was held in place by a #8 x 3/4" flat head screw on each side. I removed the keel to clean & check it and the trunk, which was fairly straight forward so that I could add glass to the forward edge. Unlike you, I have smooth keel movement but I would suggest checking the pin. If it is bent at all, the keel could move in an angle causing it to bind. The only other thing to check is how much water is in the keel and whether it has expanded by rust or foam expansion.
Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.