Swing Keel Line routing help (o'day 222)

Jun 14, 2020
O'day 222 Moored at a lakelot
Does anyone happen to have a diagram of or knowledge of the swing keel routing for an O'Day 222? I had to make a mid trip repair to the line which involved running a wire through the track and some snorkeling under the boat. I could see one block at the end (inside the shoal keel) but wasn't sure if there are others. It was dark and suboptimal conditions :)
It works now but I have a lot more friction so I'm thinking I either got the wrong side of the one block or there's more further up the system I couldn't see.

Thanks!

Sep 29, 2013
Oday O'Day 222, O'Day 19 Casco Bay, Falmouth, ME
Unremarkable. I too replaced the swing keel lifting line on my 222. There is only the one block and the curved stainless tube for the line to run in. On my boat, I had to reposition the stainless tube to get a straight shot from the block to the lower end of the tube. Could the increased friction be because of a different type line, either in diameter or material?

Jun 14, 2020
O'day 222 Moored at a lakelot
Unremarkable. I too replaced the swing keel lifting line on my 222. There is only the one block and the curved stainless tube for the line to run in. On my boat, I had to reposition the stainless tube to get a straight shot from the block to the lower end of the tube. Could the increased friction be because of a different type line, either in diameter or material?
Thanks so much, that's very good to know. Sounds like I need to go for another swim with a good flashlight :)
I was just rerunning the same line, so no change in diameter or anything. Maybe I'm on the wrong side of the block... That's my fear at least.

GSP

Sep 12, 2023
O'Day 222 Hudson, PQ
Good Morning O'Day owners
I too am a O'Day 222 owner and I need to replace my swing keel lifting line.
Can the line change be accomplished with the kell up position on it trailer, or does it have to be down and forcing me to get wet??
The water visibility and water temp will be an issue.
Thank You
GSP

Sep 29, 2013
Oday O'Day 222, O'Day 19 Casco Bay, Falmouth, ME
Conceivably the line could be changed with the boat in the water, but it will be much more difficult. I cannot imagine how it could be done while on a trailer unless there are no supports below the swing keel, and you dig a hole under the area where the swing keel will come down so that you can access the trailing edge of the swing keel where the lifting line is attached. My 222 lifting line was/is attached with a shackle to the trailing edge of the swing keel, but on my O’Day 19, the line goes through the trailing edge of the swing keel to a counterbored hole that comes in from the side. A knot is tied in the end of the line that then resides in the counterbored hole with the line passing up through a hole in the top of the swing keel trunk to the cockpit. The counterbored hole was then filled and faired with a caulking compound of some type. Either way, it is much easier to remove the boat from the trailer while on stands to accomplish the work. If your 222 has the shackle, it would be possible to do the work with the boat in the water. You’d have to cut the old line above the splice, attach the new line to the old one and pull the new line up over the block, through the stainless tube into the cockpit. Perhaps it would be easier to use a smaller line attached to the old line, and then attach the smaller line to the new line to pull that up through to the cockpit. The new line would have been spliced on the shackle end before it was installed. It would not be easy to remove the shackle under water and reinstall it without an air supply, unless you can hold your breath longer than I can. See photos for the shackle connection and the stand to pull the trailer out from under the boat. I built one similar to this, but I found this one on line.

Attachments

GSP

Sep 12, 2023
O'Day 222 Hudson, PQ
Thank You Wood Jigger

Best option: on land, in a rented/borrowed similar boat size cradlle or on stilts/tripods.