swing keel help

Nov 14, 2014
morgan 30 mashpee
I have a 1969 morgan 30 with a swing keel that is not connected to the cable. Is this a huge job? How to access to repair? does anyone have any suggestions?

Dec 7, 2012
Kittiwake 23, Irwin 43 .. Indianapolis / indianatown, fl
hello

I have a Morgan 35'... it has the swing down dagger board, but has been sealed in the up position... but I have a good size keel under my boat already.... the previous owner sometime had sealed the dagger board inside the keel trough... I hear a lot of these have had that done to them over time...

I use to own a swing keel Mac25... nice boat, handled easily.. I kept my Mac25 on a trailer all the time.... so I just jacked up the back to give me access to the keel when needed....

you will need to haul the boat out, and place it up on jack stands so the keel can be lowered.... while it is lowered, you can feed the cable down through the cable tube under the floor inside the cabin... then you will need a pennant attached to the end and bolt it to your keel... I would use a really flexible cable so it doesn't bind up.... I do not know how to get to the hole in the keel to attach the pennant to it, as it is always in the keel trough... you might have to detach the keel and drop it down out of the keel trough totally, to get at the bolt hole...do not try and do this in the water....

now both boats I own, have full keels ... I love full keel boats... they might not be as fast as some boats out there, but they are way more stable in the water...

hope this helps

sincerely
Jess