Swing Keel Harmonics

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jeff Smith

I have just purchased a 1981 25 foot MacGregor. Its a nice upgrade from the 17' daysailor I had. However, I have a concern over this termendous harmonic vibration that is coming from the swing keel. At times it is very loud, and takes away from the serenity of the sail. Is there something wrong ? Is there anything I can do to tone it down? Thanks for a response. jsmith@ohiohills.com

R

robin amend

same here

I have a 1981 venture 222 and it does the same. I use the pitch to tell how fast we're going

D

Dean Smith

Tighten the keel

It 'sounds' tome like you may need to tighten up the pivot. I believe that you can drop the keel, with the boat on the trailer, and remove it for inspection. I have heard that it becomes necessary to add some shim material (like a bushing) inside the hole thru the keel to prevent wobble and/or vibration.

B

Bob Gravenstine

Loosen the keel cable.

I used to sail a M22 and I always would loosed the cable after I lowered the keel. Just continue to turn the winch handle in the counter clockwise direction until it is loose. Then turn the shaft by holding onto the nyloc nut about half to one turn counter clockwise. The vibration will be gone. This of course will not work if you are sailing with the keel part way up.

J

John Pruitt

Swing Keel

I do not think the harmonics are coming from the keel. They are coming from the lift cable. Let out some slack and the noise will go away.

Status
Not open for further replies.