swing keel falls

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jim Gillmore

My last trip out when I cranked the keel up it just came back down with the crank spinning wildly. Someone said that it stays up because there is a friction clutch in the mechanism. I dont see one when I inspect it. I have not taken it apart the boat is on the trailer I tied the crank off to one of the cleats. I was wondering if anyone has any ideas or should I just purchase a new assembly for $100USD. TIA Jim

S

Steve LeBlanc

Keel Winch

Going through MacGregor they cost about $104.00 dollars, plus shipping and handeling. The winch used is a DLB800A Brake Winch. The manufacture is Dutton-laison They do have a web site. www.dutton-laison.com You can also probably order any parts you may need by calling 1-800 323 0620 Parts Company of America. There is also another company out there that sells fleet maintenance supplies that carry this type of winch (here say at this time) Try searching on fleet maintenance supplies on the WEB, keep away from Lawson, very expensive. HavenCraft also sells the winch for 100.00 They even have a parts catelog for the Macs. www.macgregorparts.com I hope this helps

M

Michael

Keel Winch

I replaced mine with one supplied by Havencraft of New England. Put a new cable on at the same time. They are good people and can get it to you quickly. Was not hard to replace.

K

Ken Gehrels

Try Repairing It

I had similar problem with my winch last summer. Extracted the thing. Once I loosened the screws that held the back housing on, it turned out to be a quick fix. There is a rachet and a friction plate (well.... actually more like an asbestos washer). Turns out my rachet had jumped the gear, a screw had loosened off, and the "friction plate" wasn't making good contact. Tightened her up, reset the rachet, greased it in the right places, put it back together and good as new. Cost - zero. Seeing as you have to pull the old winch out, anyway, 'tis well worth the attempt to repair. You'll be able to bench test it to see if you got it right. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.