Swing keel beachable ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tom 410

Just went from a Freedom 32 to a '81 C22 so we could sail and gunkhole more. I was under the impression that a C22 w/swing keel was beachable (light touch, keel up) but after browsing this web page and other owners advice, I'm not so sure. Any advice / experience ?? Thanx Tom 410

S

Scott

I wouldn't Recomend it.

Hi there this is a good question and while i don't have a direct answer here are some points i think are relevant. Keep in mind that the swing keel is made of steel, and we all know what salt does to steel. Constant beaching could wear the bottom paint off the ends of teh keel and start causing rust. Also if you do deside to beach the boat it is important to remember that the keel it self can not support the weight of the boat. Infact it is a VERY delicate peice of the boat. You would have to bee very careful not to put ANY weight on the keel pushing up to the hull. In closing, my advice is to take your dingy with you and keep the boat in at least 2' of water at the very least. Make sure that you watch the tide too. And those rocks can do some major damage to any boat. Hope this helps you and enjoy the beach, and your new Catalina 22!!! Scott

A

Aldo

I never tried it, but ...

Tom: I never tried it either, but we have had our keel hit the bottom more times than I can even remember. The most memorable time was in the Patapsco River, near Baltimore, when we hit something submerged, that was probably made from steel. We were motoring wide open at the time. The sound was unbelievable. When we pulled the boat out of the water several months later, we looked for damage, and didn't find any at all. The way we go into shallow water is to have one of our sons stick the boat hook into the water to measure the depth, and try to keep it in about 3 feet of water minimum. I'm rather sure that our boat has at sometime in its life touched the bottom with the keel up, but I don't try to do it on purpose. It could make you look really foolish. Watch the rudder too, when you go into shallow water. I normally have a nylon shear pin in ours, that I have sheared at least once. I think that you could do damage to the rudder faster than to the keel. Aldo

D

Dick of the Sylvan

Bow on Beach

What you can do is put your bow on many beaches, with a swing keel. Since that part of the boat only draws a couple of feet, many a time I have put the Sylvan's bow on a nice sandy beach so as to get in a little shore time. Best to set an anchor off the stern to keep from broaching should a tail wind come up. Sometimes have to step into 6inches of water. My wife likes me to put a rock there to keep her feet high and dry. Dick

D

David

Do it all the time

Tom - I "beach" my C22 all the time ---well, not "beach" in the same sense that you can beach a dinghy or a Sunfish, but I DO pull the keel (and rudder -- don't forget to loosen and/or pull up the rudder) up and run the boat right up into the sand. With the keel up, a C22 will float in about 20 inches of water, so I slowly "ground" her, jump off, tie her to a tree on shore, then push her off a bit (not good to have all of that weight on the keel). Last week, I stopped at a beach that was too shallow to allow me to get close enough to tie off to shore, so I grounded on the sand, jumped off with my anchor, walked out a ways and hand set the anchor in knee-deep water, then returned and pushed the boat back. People on the beach thought I was nuts! FYI - I sail in fresh water, and my keel is pretty grungy. If I had a nice, new keel or if I was in salt water, I might re-think my 'beaching" tactics. David "Spirit" C22 # 12963 Lake Champlain

D

Dave LaPere ( Nature's Cradle)

2000 22' Markll

Hi Tom, In answer to your question , yes a swing keel is beachable ! I have read all the replies so far and each have their good points and I agree with the fact that you can indeed beach a Cat 22' swing keel . I own a New Mark ll with a swing keel and tip up rudder. Now keep in mind when I purchased my boat from Catalina that was one of their Biggest Selling points beaching meaning the "Bow" up to the keel. The swing keel itself in the new ones is lead in a fiberglass sheath that totaly encloses the lead keel. I am not afraid of beaching my boat. I do this at Morro Bay off the coast of California and all of the inland lakes, both here in the foothills and the higher elevations of the Sierra's. I keep in mind tide info on the coast but our lakes don't see drastic fluxuations during the year. Using a combination bottom paint for fresh and salt water plus the added feature of trailering makes touch up on the bottom paint a snap and does not hurt the fiberglass gelcoat. Now keep in mind I don't beach on the rocks always picking a very soft sand or dirt if need be keeping an anchor astern and enough depth on the tramson end to lower my Honda o.b and power off when ready. So there you have it we are the crazy ones here in California LOL !!!! Happy Sailing, :) Dave LaPere

T

Tom Fortin

Thanx all for input

Dave, David, Dick, Aldo & Scott - Just wanted to thank you for your feedback on my question. I know I'll enjoy sailing my C22 a whole lot more than my other boats - 7000+ people can't be wrong!! After more than 20 years of sailing the southeast, I believe my Cat22 will get me to places to see and do things I haven't with my other boats. It's also been nice to get on a forum like this and see the common interest and support ya'll have. Good sailing and keep the pointy end up. Tom 410

Status
Not open for further replies.