Swim Platform?

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bob Camarena

Has anyone out there fashioned a small swim platform for the pre-walkthrough transom C-30? We anchor out a lot and it would be nice to have something more accessible than the stern ladder when stepping in and out of the dinghy. It strikes me that one could be hinged or even removable. It wouldn't have to be too large, maybe a foot deep and 18"-24" wide. Even if you haven't done it, any ideas? I'm sure I'm not the only one interested in this.

M

Mike Hagerman

Swim Platform

I have a 1977 Cat 30 with the same problem. In fact I'm taking the rear swim ladder off this year and installing brackets on either side of the cockpit for a new swim ladder. Given the backstay, I don't think a swim platform is worth the effort. None of my passengers appreciate having to squeeze through all the hardware on the stern. We have a bigger challenge: 4 Labrador Retrievers, 1 or 2 of whom cruise with us. They LOVE the water but at 100 pounds or more now (2 of them are 1-year old "puppies"), I have to figure out a way to retrieve them. Does Catalina make a doggie crane?

M

Mark Gale

swim

Go to the Catalina 30 association site and order Tech Talk. It has all sorts of modifications. I think I've seen a platform in there.

J

John Mavrovich

Tech Talk

In the Catalina Association Tech Talk (mentioned in prior post), someone did this to a C-36. It was in the May '97 issue. I save these for you guys. There's a photo and it looks real nice. A removeable center section of the platform allows the ladder to fold down. He didn't give a lot of details but included his name/address and welcomed inquiries: Ken Higgins, Iwalani II 4470 Pinecrest Drive Eugene, OR 97405 Good luck, John

B

Bob Camarena

Follow-Up Idea

Thanks for the comments. In thinking about Mike's comments about the difficulty of stern boarding, I've been sketching out an idea for a boarding platform that would hang from the rail tracks on the side of the cockpit. Sort of like a rail mounted ladder, but with one big platform-like step. It wouldn't be accessible from the water itself, but would be easy to step onto from the dinghy. From there one would simply turn around, sit on the rail, lift your legs and swivel into the cockpit. The challenge is to make it fold or come apart easily while retaining a high degree of stability. I've seen the rope-hung steps, but I want something larger and more stable. If I figure it out, I'll let you know.

Status
Not open for further replies.