Swim platform grab rails anyone?

bradm

Oct 7, 2021
Catalina 309 Wickford, RI
We've been considering installing a pair of stainless grab rails somewhere on the swim platform. Seems like they would be really handy on the mooring while landing and getting in/out of the dinghy. Haven't seen anything like this on other boats, so maybe I'm missing something: what problems could these introduce? Can anyone think of a downside?

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
Mine has a vertically aligned teak grab handle on the transom to starboard of the ladder and the step that's integrated into the transom. It's really good! I recommend searching for a household stainless grab handle, as for a bath or shower.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
If you're looking for some handles, I just bought these, the quality is excellent (especially considering the price), they're probably 304 vs. 316: Amazon.com
Wow! Those are nice, and a great price, too! I like how the pads can be swiveled. And, no need to varnish them! Ha, ha.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Go simple. A couple of short pieces of line attached to the boat and hanging over the swim platform work well and no holes in the boat. We used 2 sail ties looped around the fixed ladder on the transom.

Apr 12, 2007
Hunter 420 Herrington Harbor South
Mine came with them. very handy both in or out of the water.

dmax

Jul 29, 2018
O'Day 35 Buzzards Bay
Those look so slick I am now determined to find a place on the boat where I can install grab rails as shown.
I know, I'm not going to use them as I first intended but I know they'll get used somewhere - I was really impressed when they arrived, they look like the picture, very polished.