Swim platform for my 26S

Apr 11, 2020
MacGregor 26s Scott's Landing, Grapevine TX
I took advantage of a day off to do a shakedown installation of the swim platform I made for my 26S and everything went practically without a hitch. Prior to today I had only installed it on dry land, and wanted to work out the process of installing it on the water from the boat.

I tied a rope to each of the two eyebolts I had installed at the port and starboard forward corners, and one to the grab handle at the aft edge and lowered it into the water using the grab handle. As expected, it floats. I led it around to the stern and lifted it into the C-channel supports tying the ropes off at the mooring cleats on the port and starboard coamings. I took the rope tied to the grab handle and looped it around the topping lift where it attaches to the boom, lifted the platform up into position and tied it off, then attached the support lines to the U-bolts I had installed in the transom for that purpose. I had to back up a few steps when I realized the ladder support would not swing clear of the rudder with the platform in place, but that was simple enough to do.

I switched the boarding ladder from the transom to the platform and that was that. Done!

All my standing tests had been done on land, so with taking an unplanned swim the only real risk, I gave it a good, rowdy bounce and rock test. Nothing broke, creaked, or cracked, so I think I am good to go.

I considered taking it out for a test cruise, but decided to save it for a less windy day. I plan to add some kind of floatation to the ladder. That does NOT float!

Overall VERY pleased. Can't wait to start using it!

More details of design and process can be found at this thread:

Attachments

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
How did the boat handle? Did you have to shift some weight forward?
Fun addition! We don't swim in Cheney. Definitely don't wear white if we do. It's a watershed reservoir.

Apr 11, 2020
MacGregor 26s Scott's Landing, Grapevine TX
How did the boat handle? Did you have to shift some weight forward?
Fun addition! We don't swim in Cheney. Definitely don't wear white if we do. It's a watershed reservoir.
If the water stains your clothes, probably best NOT to swim in it!

At about 40 lbs, I did not expect, nor did I experience, much difference in the handling of the boat. The corners caught the water a bit, and of course, having to leave the motor down created a little turbulence. It will not stay on for racing, that's for sure.

I put off doing this project because I couldn't figure out how to raise and lower the motor and leave room to completely raise the rudder without cutting the size down to 4 square feet or so. Just not worth it. However, when it dawned on me that leaving the motor down was actually a viable option, and that mounting the platform above the rudder would still allow me to dangle my feet in the water, I decided it would be worth the effort.

As it is, the rudder can be raised so that it is only partially out of the water. This would be enough to beach the boat bow first, but not to back up the beach. It's easy enough to remove if I want to do that, though.

It will be interesting to see how much the bow lifts when I get more people on it, but of course that will only be at anchor, so performance is not really an issue there.

Can't wait to get out with the grandkids. Should be a blast!