swim ladder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ahonui

Mar 1, 2007
- - nawiliwili harbor,
What is the best way to attach a swim ladder? I have been looling at them and would like one for my c22. Any help would be great. I worry about over doing it and creating a problem I didn't have before installing a swim ladder, like leaks and such. Thanks, Noel

Jan 25, 2007
- - Great sacandaga
Hi Noel, I would not worry to much about mounting a swim ladder on your C22. It's pretty straight forward. You will not have any leaks if sealed properly. There are lots of ladders out there to choose from. I would recommend one from Catalina Direct, Part #D1137. It sells for $170.13. This one mounts with six bolts, three on each side. The mounting plates are well above the water line, so leaks are not an issue. Also look on this site and other sites for items for sale. There is of course E-Bay as well. To mount the swim ladder, mark out the holes on the starboard transom, you will need a backing plate as well, this of course is on the inside of your boat, drill the holes in the transom first, then have someone hold the backing plate( your choice of material, wood, metal, ect. maybe the ladder will come with it's own backing plates-me not sure!)mark that with a punch(long nail), then drill that, use some of 3M's 4200 adhesive and squirt some in the drilled holes, and squeeze some onto the back of the monting plates of the ladder, slip one bolt through one hole on each side and insert into the holes and backing plates. After placing all the bolts in and snugging them down a bit, clean any adhesive up, don't climb on the ladder until the next day! Let that adhesive setup some. When the next day comes, tighten the nuts some more. Now you can climb on board. Be sure to put the caps on the little legs that support the ladder when in the down position. You might want to stock up on these caps, they tend to come off at times. I buy the white rubber caps at wal-mart, or drug stores. The kind that are for canes, and or, chair legs. Four for $1.00, 1" in size I believe. The only other thing, is a velcro strap, or bungee, to hold your ladder up when not used. this is simply wrapped around the ladder and the stern pulpit. Have fun, it's easy! Jay

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Islander/Wayfairer 30 sail number 25 Perryville,Md.
Velcro

Ahonui: Adding to what Jay wrote, when you put on the velcro strap to hold the ladder up, I find it best to place it low so that you can reach it while in the water, just in case someone were to go in unexpectedly. Also, when I installed my ladeder I was able to place a wood strip up fromthe bilge area between the outer and inner core at the transom which otherwise it was hollow for at least one of my bolts as I remember it. Then drilling and bolting through both the two fiverglass layers and the inner wood area made it quite firm. Dick of sylvan, not Ross.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Simple removable ladder

When we had our C22, we didn't have a pulpit. So we just used a simple ladder with those curved top rungs and when we wanted to go swimming, we just hung it off the stern. This was on a California lake where it hit over 95 during the day, we swam a lot when hove-to, and we found no reason to have to install anything else. The port locker is huge to hold the ladder.

Bilbo

Aug 29, 2005
Catalina 22 Ohio
Go Factory

Ahonui For safety, it would be my suggestion to look into Jay's link. That way you'd know that the ladder would fit with your boat. I have this ladder and it works well without leaks. I also want something that is accessable IF I were trying to get into the boat in the event that I found myself in the water. Also follow the suggestion about making the swing-down part workable from the water with a velcro or bungee tiedown.

N

Noel

much mahalo

Thanks for all your suggestions. I am confident now that I can install a great swim ladder for Ahonui. I had the type you hang off a cleat but it came unraveled after a few uses, plus I found that it is difficult to use because the hull of the boat is so flat and I am so fat, (I am working on the fat part, low carbs mo protein.) thanks again, Aloha.

Status
Not open for further replies.