Surveyor - Bad experience

CliffA

Jul 27, 2023
C&C 25 MkI NSC
I had to get a survey for insurance purposes and had a really bad experience.

First red flag was a blanket statement from him saying "all C&C boats are garbage", followed by basically trashing every boat in the marina, "the boats in this place are the worst kept out of all the marinas I see". Thats BS because there are a pile of new boats and a pile of well kept and even restored older boats there.

The mast wasn't stepped for the survey, but that didn't stop him from saying my running rigging is all shot and needs to be replaced. So I went down into the cabin and pulled the stowed running rigging, and he said, "oh, I'll just put down that you need new halliards.

He said the deck was soaking wet and in really bad shape, so I challenged him a bit to show me where and all he came up with was the one soft spot at the starboard chainplate thar I already knew about.

The surveyor seemed almost bi-polar, started out by saying “she looks to be in pretty good shape” then a couple minutes later said “there are a lot of problems with the boat, you’re going to have trouble getting insurance”, then asked how much I paid for the boat and replied to the price “that’s a great value, you did really well”

Overall, it was a bizarre experience.

If there is anyone in Eastern Ontario planning to get a survey, PM me and I’ll get you some more details.

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
Probably more important than that is to check his certification before hiring him/her.

Boat surveyors are somewhat similar to house inspectors I've read about in the newspaper. It's a golden opportunity for con men.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Probably more important than that is to check his certification before hiring him/her.
100%

There are a lot of idiots in Canada that do surveys, yet have no training or certification.

One tell tale sign is the price they want to do the survey. Check their credentials.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
No clue what certification requirements for surveyors in Canada is but I know that in the US, it means very little.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
If you want a different surveyor, i hired one to help me buy a boat in niagara-on -the-lake via long distance, back in 2015, who seemed good. Admittedly I never met him in person, but he was good to deal.with, and his survey fully matched what I experienced after I purchased the boat.

Peter Bennett – SAMS® Surveyor
Bennett Marine Services
Saint Catharines, ON L2R 4V6, Canada
Telephone: (905) 687-1918
Cell Telephone: (905) 401-2788
pejabe#gmail.com

Based on his linked-in page, he has worked in the commercial marine industry since the late 80s.
He is a professional engineer with a master's degree in ocean engineering.

• Helpful
Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
No clue what certification requirements for surveyors in Canada is but I know that in the US, it means very little.
It might mean more to buyers wishing a loan where the bank or lending institution requires a certain level of certification for the surveyor. Also, for insurance in some cases. If nothing else in Canada, get testimonials (references). Get your surveyor lined up and checked out before, or near, the start of sale negotiations.

If the insurer of an owned vessel wishes a survey the insurer should send one out b/f the next renewal. If getting your own ask a couple of insurance adjusters for their recommendation(s). As with everything else, high quality and exhaustive out-of-water survey may cost way more than a “quick and dirty” in-the-water job, etc.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
If getting your own ask a couple of insurance adjusters for recommendation(s).
2 insurers I previously had quotes from, had a list of surveyors in each region of Canada, that they wanted you to use. (Not just recommended)

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
100%

There are a lot of idiots in Canada that do surveys, yet have no training or certification.

One tell tale sign is the price they want to do the survey. Check their credentials.
One of my early questions to a surveyor is “what sailboats have you owned?” Or, “Do you presently own a boat?” A 30 something-yr-old “kid” never a boat owner would give me low expectations for a good survey or discussions of it.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Maybe close enough. At least a solid starting point!
Yup. I would then ask other owners for their experience with those on the list.

A 30 something-yr-old “kid” never a boat owner would give me low expectations for a good survey or discussions of it.
Hehe. 100%
Reminds me of the Learning the lines YouTube channel. The couple have only recently learned the correct terminology, and yet have a channel giving boat tours and giving their opinions like they are experienced.

CliffA

Jul 27, 2023
C&C 25 MkI NSC
One of my early questions to a surveyor is “what sailboats have you owned?” Or, “Do you presently own a boat?” A 30 something-yr-old “kid” never a boat owner would give me low expectations for a good survey or discussions of it.
Oh ya, I asked what kind of boat he had and he said he doesn’t have one because he hates boating.

Another thing was when we were looking at the sails I had noted that I wasn’t too concerned if there was a bit of stretch/sag in the sails becauseI didn’t intend to race it. His response was “that’s not a race boat”. Maybe I should send him the M.O.R.C. Wiki link that includes the 25 in the class list.

At least I’ve got insurance now and that experience is behind me.