Survey results and misc. questions

Nov 16, 2012
Catalina 310, 2000, #31 31 Santa Cruz
Slowly moving closer to owning a 310.
Did the survey yesterday. Only surprise was that the steering cable should be replaced, and the rudder has some slop in it (not related to the cable). Surveyor suggested dropping the rudder, replacing the bearing, and maybe shimming the post, if needed. He also thought the asking price was quite high given it's history, so we'll see how that plays out.

Several questions that I've come up with and should have answered myself, but forgot about when I was on the boat:

-what size is the jib track? 1", 1-1/4? I would need to replace the jib cars.
-what size are the main slugs? Bainbridge A007 (5/8") or A008 (3/4")? I've got a Mast Mate climber, but might need new slides for it.

Thanks,

Oct 3, 2011
Anam Cara Catalina 310 Hull #155 155 Lake Erie/Catawba Island
Hopefully, Welcome to 310 Ownership!
There are a couple of resources for 310 Values, including one of our sponsers, BOATUS,
There are quite a few things, as you probably know that add to or take away from Value.
Sails, extra gear, freshwater vs. saltwater etc.
Our boats hold their value over the years very well so know that if you pay a good price and maintain her she will still retain her value.
Our organization as a support group also adds to that!.
Keep us in the loop!

Clydo

May 28, 2013
Catalina C310 SF Bay/Delta
Did the survey yesterday. Only surprise was that the steering cable should be replaced, and the rudder has some slop in it (not related to the cable). Surveyor suggested dropping the rudder, replacing the bearing, and maybe shimming the post, if needed. He also thought the asking price was quite high given it's history, so we'll see how that plays out.

Several questions that I've come up with and should have answered myself, but forgot about when I was on the boat:

-what size are the main slugs? Bainbridge A007 (5/8") or A008 (3/4")? I've got a Mast Mate climber, but might need new slides for it.

Thanks,

YachtWorld.com can give you some broker prices but may not find many
for sale. Am very satisfied with price I paid two years ago for my 2003
year model. Unusual for most boats but price I paid has remained about same and in some
cases higher during that time. Great boat.

Clyde Thorington
San Jose, CA
C310 # 245
ILEAN TOO

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
On the price, are you working with a broker? The should have access to Soldboats.com. It's been 5 years but when we bought Smitty the C310s were averaging only 5-6% below asking price while the industry average was 12-15%. So they were higher priced for similar vintage boats.

Aug 24, 2009
Catalina 310 Sturgeon Bay, WI
JK is correct, (as always) between the broker section of Yachtworld and soldboats the broker will have a history. C310 have done a great job of holding the new value. I was talking to my long term dealer (friend) yesterday. (a well known Midwest Catalina dealer) Only issue in the mid-west / great lakes has been the shift in demographics. Seems that the majority of buyers currently are looking for boats over 34'. A lot of people, such as my age group are looking to retire and want that little bit bigger boat. (36'-40' selling well here) The 310 - 315- 320 are just not moving, so people are selling them below market pulling the price down. A broker looks at recent sales and see boats being sold for low to mid 50's that should be selling or $10k more. Sellers "Dumping" their boat in the market to move up is hurting all the smaller boats out there. There is a free version of BucNet that lets you look up value of three boats (not much but it helps) I still have a paid version. It is showing recent sales hovering around $53K. Sad as it is to say, at least here in the WI / IL / MI area there are deals to be had, a number of boats for sale.

Russ
s/v Long Story

rukidn

Apr 23, 2012
Catalina 310 258 Sandusky, OH
Jib tracks are 1 1/4, and Garhauer makes an adjustable car kit that is on my Christmas list. Slugs are 3/4". I confirmed this by spending $100 last week to have several replaced a second time. I had some fixed last year and they used 5/8, which jammed and led to this years failures. One or two 5/8 let go and the rest went off like a zipper.

Clydo

May 28, 2013
Catalina C310 SF Bay/Delta

Thanks,

Jib track on my 2003 C310 is 1 1/4"

Mainsail track I think is 3/8"? Didn't get chance to measure slug.

Clyde Thorington
C310 # 245
I LEAN TOO
San Jose, CA