Survey Or Not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 24, 2011
Beneteau First 310 Atlantic City
I'm purchasing a 2010 Catalina 375 with less than 100 hours on the engine. Overall, the boat is in like new condition but has been in the water in the upper Chesapeake for the last two seasons. The boat was hauled and re-commissioned in November, 2012. My own inspection revealed a little water in the center bilge (well below the float), but nothing more. Manufacturer warranties remain on the engine and electronics.

The purchase is through a reputable, local dealer who has committed to deliver the boat with all systems in good order. Should I spend $800 for a marine survey? My insurance company does not require it.

Feb 8, 2007
Catalina 36 MKII Pensacola Beach, FL
Yes.

I think a lot of people even have surveys done on new boats.

You say the dealer committed to deliver the boat with all systems in good working order, but is it in the contract?

$800 is a lot of money, but it's nothing compared to what you are paying for your boat.

Nobody wants to pay for the cost of a survey, but you have to think of it like an insurance policy.

If you don't get it and then you figure out you shoudl have, it's too late.

Good luck.

Nov 11, 2010
hunter 31 kent Island md
we got a survey on a never been sold H31. There were gelcoat voids that we didn't see and some cosmetic things that were fixed by the dealer, no questions or run around. It kept everyone honest.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
Proper due diligence is subjective, however, keep in mind two things:

1. Many consider it valuable to survey a brand new boat, and more important,

2. All insurance underwriters require a survey as a prerequisite for coverage

So your dilemma is a moot point.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
I agree. $800 is a LOT for a survey though. Bet you can find a reputable surveyor for less than $500 for that size boat. Good luck.

Sep 6, 2007
Catalina 320 Gulfport, Fl
It depends on your experience and back ground.

When I bought my C-320 it was 6 years old in excellent condition. My insurance company Progressive did not require a survey, so I went on line found a set of survey questions, and performed my own survey. It was extremely detailed and asked questions I had never thought of.

Yes I took the risk on myself but I am also comfortable with my experience and skills. I was not disappointed and am still enjoying this boat 7 years later.

Sep 20, 2006
Hunter 33 Georgian Bay, Ontario, Canada
I'm going to guess that the boat is somewhere in the 6 figure range. You don't know how much has been done to the boat in the past couple of years by the PO. Also don't know how much of the bugs from the factory have been worked out. SOme may be under warranty, some not.

If you're not totaly familier with boats, maybe a few hundred dollars would be well speant for peace of mind. Just my opinion.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
I agree with Scott. We bought a 12 year old boat in excellent condition and had a survey performed. Didn't find anything, but sure helped peace of mind. We'd also put in an offer on another sistership the month before and while it looked good the survey turned up so much crap we backed out of the deal.

It's kinda like anchoring. I keep hearing skippers say "...what I can get away with..." whether for cost or weight. It's a stupid approach, 'cuz you have to ask yourself: "What's my entire boat worth to me?"

Even if you're knowledgeable about boats, you are NOT a surveyor. There's a very good preliminary checklist that was published here sometime ago, but I'd still get a surveyor.

http://forums.sbo.sailboatowners.com/showthread.php?t=102541

Jul 24, 2011
Beneteau First 310 Atlantic City
Thanks to all for your advice. I'm getting a survey done, including a sea trial. Your input is much appreciated.

Jun 5, 2004
Catalina 30 MkII Foss Harbor Marina, Tacoma, WA
...I used a surveyor recommended by the broker. That was a mistake on my part. I won't do that again. I also wasn't able to be present at the survey haulout. Won't do that again either.

Aug 10, 2011
none none Northern California
Another reason for getting a survey...even if the survey is pretty clean, there will always be a few relatively minor things that need to be corrected. The "Recommendations" become the beginning of your everlasting "Do List."
Enjoy!

May 27, 2012
Oday 222 Beaver Lake, Arkansas
Items found in a survey also make good bargaining tools. But heck, the older I get the more I feel I need someone else to look at the things "I" purchase. I could look over your boat and probably find everything in the world wrong with it, but seem to become totally blind when looking at stuff I want to buy for myself.

On small cheap boats it doesnt matter, but on something of real value its really a good idea for everyone to have a survey, by a disinterested third party (not one selected by the seller), and to be present when its performed.

Oct 3, 2011
Anam Cara Catalina 310 Hull #155 155 Lake Erie/Catawba Island
I like other sailers do Not like to spend money.. But we had our 310 surveyed and sea trialed. Cost about $600. our surveyer, we asked for references and checked them, was WELL worth the money spent. In fact he more than paid for his services by what he found and what we were able to negotiate. Items that we would NEVER have looked at, were replaced at the previous owners expense. Our boat had 130 engine hours on it and has sailed less than 425 miles in the time the first/previous owner had her. Also the peace of mind is worth it. we spent money to buy a good boat that we also learned from the surveyor who gave us suggestions. I would recommend him and use him again. Money Well Spent!

Status
Not open for further replies.