Surfing in a V222

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Hey Guys.

I had a first for me last Friday. I got my V222 to plane. Went out on Smith Mountain Lake with two friends for a day sail. The weather.com called for 14mph winds out of the N NW. Got to the lake with a thick gray slab of clouds over the sky and not even a puff of air. We launched anyway and by the time the boat was in the water 10:00AM there was just the slightest puff of air. We knocked about with the motor and by noon we had enough wind to ghost so we cut the motor and chilled out. Tacked into the wind to the far side of the lake. The wind steadily grew and the edge of the front passed over and then it kicked in and we got the predicted 14mph winds with gusts exceeding 14mph by a considerable amount. We were at the far end of the fetch in the lee of the land with way too much sail up but instead of shortening sail we decided to run wing and wing..... whooo hooo. In the middle of the lake we got far enough away from land to really catch the puffs and we all looked at each other with that "did you feel that" look when the boat started to plane. It was a wild ride.... one for the book. Hope the rest of you all are able to enjoy a nice fall sail.

a bien tot,

r

Status
Not open for further replies.