Supper in a barn on a Maine island.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
Doesn't sound too glamorous and in fact, it's comfortably not glamorous. More like a mid summer nights dream that is, if you arrive on your own boat.

99.9% of the attendees to the Barn Suppers at Turner Farm on North Haven Island in Penobscot Bay have to negotiate a fairly complicated itinerary of getting to charter boats, ferry's and then finally getting on road buses or vans to arrive at the remote farm on this twin island with a few hundred year round residents. Not your typical dinner out as it takes a good part of the day and night to attend.

But they fill them and you have to reserve seats in advance. We took a couple seats to coincide with wrapping up 3+ weeks of sailing last season. Just a simple matter of arriving mid afternoon and dropping the hook for the night. Done.

I could keep anchor watch from my seat. And yes, we were the only guests that arrived on our own boat, same as a few times before.
Turner Farm anchorage far.jpg

A high light of visiting this farm is merely to wander around the knoll it sits on. Far off from the islands main harbor and village, the vista's are breathtaking. Views Eastward as far as the peaks of Acadia state park over Western Penobscot Bay. To seaward views out over high Isle Au Haut and the Atlantic beyond.

Turner Farm barn_.jpg

These 'suppers' start outside where guests mingle. It's normal that although we only live 10 miles away - as the crow flies - we may not know anyone there as most are visitors to the area, summer residents or from just about anywhere. This unfamiliarity gives this a far away feel to us arriving here by the water.

A few people asked how we arrived and when we told them we sailed there they acted as if that were a truly amazing feat. Odd but the rest of the world knows little about 'us' that sail.

Camera's snap away from the grounds where guests meet, enjoy cocktails and delicious finger foods as the sun goes low over the mainland 10 miles to the West. The grounds are lush with delicious foods growing amongst many edible flowers.

Turner Farm flowers.jpg

These folks asked us to snap their photo on a bench. They then reciprocated for a first photo taken of the two of us together, in 3 weeks. We shot it off to our kids in Boston and Manhattan a minute later. They loved it, they know this spot well.
Turner Farm 2019.jpg

Inside the barn, 2 tables for 50 were set. We found our place tags amongst total strangers that were perfect dining companions.

Tables for 50.jpg

As this is a sort of catered event, your menu is set so there's no tedious ordering. When your glass of wine is empty, it's magically refilled.
Menu.jpg

Course after course moves past you, all grown or raised right here on the farm. As the sun sets a mass exodus begins onto buses - vans and a few by charter boats.

We linger watching the sunset before heading down to the beach to drag our dinghy to the water. A peaceful night follows and we wake up in this flat anchorage, the only boat, the next morning.

7-40 am anchored.jpg

IF you're cruising in the area, look into a barn supper.

Note: If you arrive on your own the dinners are about $30 less per person as that is the added charge for transportation from the mainland. All in all it's a very affordable night our for two.

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
My wife and I have been on Maine cruises about 7 times and have visited North Haven onmany of those occasions. We will definately put this dinner on our to-do list on our next cruise. Thanks for the info!

Jun 7, 2016
Catalina C30 Warwick, RI
That is beautiful! I didn't think much about putting Maine on my cruising list, but I think a week or 2 bouncing up and down the coast with one night there is now part of the future plans.

Wonderful post TomY:beer:

nat55

Feb 11, 2017
Gulfstar 1979 Gulfstar 37 BELFAST
Thanks for sharing Tom, we usually put N-haven and Nebo on our summer cruise, though the last couple of times Nebo Lodge has been Meh....not what we remembered. The farm looks like fun though....

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
Lovely indeed! I think the single sailboat anchored there must have been idyllic! Besides being a stunningly beautiful boat...

What an awesome post! Thank you!

dj

Mr Fox

Aug 31, 2017
Marshall 22 Portland, ME
Looks amazing!!!! Great pictures too. That’s gonna be our next journey this coming summer. If you’re headed a little more south, check out the dinners at Wolfe’s Neck Farms sometime, super fun.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Wow! The Maine coast looks great right now. Here it's still Winter, snowing right now, in fact and we are sitting in the dark with no power for over an hour.

That barn supper looks like a great time. I would love to do that sometime. That barn is beautiful too. Are there still horses in those stalls?

-Will (Dragonfly)

PaulK

Dec 1, 2009
Sabre 402 Southport, CT
Makes me think of Barbara Cooney’s Island Boy, though North Haven looks bigger than what she drew. We ate on board when we were in North Haven. Not as fancy, but still good.

Attachments

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
Makes me think of Barbara Cooney’s Island Boy, though North Haven looks bigger than what she drew. We ate on board when we were in North Haven. Not as fancy, but still good.
Ha! Your photo makes me laugh. Even without the proper 'tools', there's always a way to eat a lobster onboard a boat.