sunbrella uv protection on 100 jib

Apr 6, 2014
catalina capri 18 carlyle lake, il
i have a problem with the jib on an 87 capri 18 i just bought. the jib is on a cdi furler and it seems no matter how i sheet it the top of the jib luffs violently the minute i try to sail upwind. i bought a new main, as the old one was original and blown out. the jib however looks pretty good and has had sunbrella sewn along the foot and the leech. im wondering if the sunbrella is screwing up the sail shape and causing the luff problem. the previous owner has not responded to questions at this time. do you think i could remove the sunbrella without any ill effects to the sail? the boat is trailer sailed and is garaged when not in use so the uv protection is of little consequence.

Nov 19, 2008
Catalina C-22 MK-II Parrish, FL
Either also blown out, or probably the position of the jib cars and how the sheet is pulling on the clew.

Don

Dec 23, 2008
Catalina 22 Central Penna.
Furler mast tension

Adding to Don’s statement about how the sheet is pulling on the clew, make sure your furler tension on the mast is not to tight. Holding the furler above your head should seam loose, this allows the furler and luff of the sail to bow forward and towards the lee side allowing the sheet to get proper tension on the leech especially at the top of the sail for beating into the wind. If you have a backstay tensioner, this helps control the leech tension also at the top of the sail.

Apr 6, 2014
catalina capri 18 carlyle lake, il
i dont know what you mean holding the furler above my head, and by tension do you mean tightness of the furler line to the cleat on the cabin top?

Dec 23, 2008
Catalina 22 Central Penna.
The tension would be set at the base of the furler where it attaches to the hull.

Do not make it tight!

Grab the furler at a height of above your head when standing on the foredeck, see if you can move it from side to side about 8 to 10 inches in each direction.