Sun Gypsy ( wondering 2024)

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
We left our home on Saturna Island on June 1st planning to reach Klemtu, about 250 miles north by July 1st. Should be easy.
After a relaxing sail up Trincomali Channel we tucked into Princess Cove on Wallace Island. Normally this would be a crowded place requiring stern ties. Tonight it’s pretty deserted.

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Sail on, oh wandering sailor.
Find safe harbor from storms.
Enjoys fresh breezes on sunny days to carry you through the islands of the Salish Sea.
Sail on.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Princess Cove a nice place to hang out. Dislike stern ties, especially in a southerly. I prefer to anchor in the main channel. Another story.

Spent a few days at Klemtu awhile ago. Also very nice at the public dock. Be sure to visit and tour the long house.

Enjoy your trip. Are you going beyond Klemtu?

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
We were in Princess Cove, the outer northern section, a few years ago. It was a clear night, and one of those when two planets and the moon all lined up together to the southwest. Great evening. I don't "do" stern ties either, so "outside" at Princess Cove is the place for us, if the dock at Conover is full.

Jan 5, 2017
IMG_0327.jpeg Very busy Princess Cove.
The green light on our Link 2000 was showing my batteries were on float even after a couple of nights. Must have a problem here somewhere. On to Nanaimo and a visit with Bevs brother and a try to diagnose our problem.
IMG_0799.jpeg
As you can see it’s very busy here too.

Jan 5, 2017
The Gemlin in our electrical system seemed to disappear. I hate problems that fix themselves because you know they will come back to bite you.
After a stop at French Creek to visit old high school friends we moved on to Comox. Here we got to visit high school chums of Bevs and I had a mechanic have a look at our charging system.
IMG_0329.jpeg Comox marina at 7 AM IMG_0330.jpeg Tidal grid in use.

Jan 5, 2017
I can’t say enough about our mechanic at Comox. He diagnosed our problem pretty quickly and we ended up with a rebuilt balmar
90-100 and a new regulator for less than a boat buck (Cdn$) and got us on our way.
Salty Dog Marine if you need a mechanic in Comox.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2017
Princess Cove a nice place to hang out. Dislike stern ties, especially in a southerly. I prefer to anchor in the main channel. Another story.

Spent a few days at Klemtu awhile ago. Also very nice at the public dock. Be sure to visit and tour the long house.

Enjoy your trip. Are you going beyond Klemtu?
Very likely Terry. Looks like the weather will be good.

Jan 5, 2017
The next morning it was timing the rapids at Gillard, Yaculta and Dent Rapids. The boat sure goes fast when the current is going your way.
IMG_5348.jpeg Hole in the wall from Calm Channel.
We spent a quiet night behind Erasmus Island near the junction with Mayne Passage.

Jan 5, 2017
We got an early start the next morning. Under way by 0600 to catch Green Point and Whirlpool Rapids during the ebb. Made a good run from overcast to sunshine into a strong Northwesterly wind. We were anchored in Blenkinsop Bay by 10am.
IMG_0335.jpeg IMG_0334.jpeg This large bay opens onto Johnstone Strait. The wind comes over the headland but only a small part of the swell comes into the bay.

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
There are going to be some more completed cruises on the wall chart of the BC Coastline in the living room. I find my self getting excited to mark my own BC waters chart. Picking out the marking pen colors.:biggrin:

Jan 5, 2017
The next three days saw some long hours. It looked like a good weather window so we got an early start the next morning and road the ebb to Matilpi ( abandoned First Nations site ) then through Chatham Channel, had a nice sail down Cleo Channel, motored around all the hard spots in Beware Channel and got in a little more sailing in Indian channel before the wind died. Ended the day at Pearce Island in Cormorant Channel Marine Park.IMG_2888.jpeg