Suggestions for New style Cooler/Step improvements ?

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
The Cooler/Step on our boat is usable but showing it's age.

The current same model Coleman Cooler is not even the same quality as the original model.

I've looked at the newer coleman extreme and Igloo models but none of them will likely fit (based on the the online specs), unless I use a much smaller cooler.

Has anyone come up with a, reasonably priced, quality, replacement which holds ice a long time and fits in the same spot ?

I'm considering putting new hinges on the existing one, making a gasket out of silicone, and trying to find a 2 part foam to fill the lid and sides.

As a major project, I'm starting to think that the best option is to make one out of something like starboard with stainless hardware, and install high quality insulation and a peltier plate ripped out of an used cooltron.

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
The Cooler/Step on our boat is usable but showing it's age.

The current same model Coleman Cooler is not even the same quality as the original model.

I've looked at the newer coleman extreme and Igloo models but none of them will likely fit (based on the the online specs), unless I use a much smaller cooler.

Has anyone come up with a, reasonably priced, quality, replacement which holds ice a long time and fits in the same spot ?

I'm considering putting new hinges on the existing one, making a gasket out of silicone, and trying to find a 2 part foam to fill the lid and sides.

As a major project, I'm starting to think that the best option is to make one out of something like starboard with stainless hardware, and install high quality insulation and a peltier plate ripped out of an used cooltron.
you may (as much as i hate to say it) want to look at the yettie or pelican coolers ...it may well be as cheap or cheaper in the long run than building one

azguy

Aug 23, 2012
Catalina 22 Lake Pleasant
someone once posted the cooler brand that fits perfect and looks nearly original, they're out there...

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
you may (as much as i hate to say it) want to look at the yettie or pelican coolers ...it may well be as cheap or cheaper in the long run than building one
Hey woodster,

Pelican isn't an option size wise.
The Yeti Tundra 45 would work. it's a bit taller so that might be an issue, but at least it fits in the space. It's the $400 price tag that's a bit much. I mean really.... it's roto molded plastic with more plastic inside. Material cost is low. I've seen stuff like that in factories where they spit them out like crazy. Their margins are crazy. Here's hoping a company makes a similar clone and makes the price half that.

I figure I can build one for fairly cheap.
Foil sided EPS is easy to get, and I can probably get some off cuts from a home builder.
I have a sheet of 1/8" mahogany plywood plying around that I can stain to match the teak.
I even think I have the needed hardware lying around.
Worst case I'll haunt the local building materials recycling place.
A friend has offered an old cooltron.

End result would be a nicer cooler that looks like it should be on a boat.
The only drawback I see is that it wouldn't be great for hauling around.

Some have suggested building an icebox into the garbage can by the sink.
If that worked, I would get rid the plastic cooler and build a removable storage box in it's place.

But all that means more work this season. The darn "mistress" has me working like crazy so far. On a good note, the new gudgeons have arrived, so I can give them to her. :)

Worst case I just shove some ridgid insulation in the coleman until the season is over.

Cheers,
Roy

Nov 19, 2008
Catalina C-22 MK-II Parrish, FL
Try looking at Dick's Sport stores, and ACE hardware. Also look around on the internet. I've seen them at Dick's for $20. Agreed they aren't the best quality cooler that could've been used, but that's what was available at the time, and the last "new design" C-22 came off the line 21 years ago. It appears the factory used the same cooler on the C-22 MK-II's, Capri/Catalina-18's, Capri-22's, and probably the C-22 Sport.

I've been searching for a better cooler set-up for our MK-II, and found a solution that I'm going with. I seen this on one of the MK-II's on the North Gulf Coast Cruise last month. They removed the table on the MK-II that was designed to cover up the keel trunk,(granted, won't work on a swing keel MK-II version), and have a Yeti cooler there. They use the factory step cooler for storage, so you could replace it with a nice wooden storage locker if you have the tools and skills. West Marine had a deal,(if you could call it that), on Yeti coolers when we were down in Florida, so I picked up a blue "Tundra-50" Yeti cooler to match our blue cabin colors. Stand by for some information on this MK-II modification.

On our "new design" C-22, I thought of converting the trash can area into a built-in cooler using 2" construction foam, and some WEST epoxy and cloth to seal, strengthen, and protect the construction foam. That would really make the "new design" boat into a proper little cruiser I think. But that's a project saved for after I get her back in the water.

Don

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
Hey woodster, Pelican isn't an option size wise. The Yeti Tundra 45 would work. it's a bit taller so that might be an issue, but at least it fits in the space. It's the $400 price tag that's a bit much. I mean really.... it's roto molded plastic with more plastic inside. Material cost is low. I've seen stuff like that in factories where they spit them out like crazy. Their margins are crazy. Here's hoping a company makes a similar clone and makes the price half that. I figure I can build one for fairly cheap. Foil sided EPS is easy to get, and I can probably get some off cuts from a home builder. I have a sheet of 1/8" mahogany plywood plying around that I can stain to match the teak. I even think I have the needed hardware lying around. Worst case I'll haunt the local building materials recycling place. A friend has offered an old cooltron. End result would be a nicer cooler that looks like it should be on a boat. The only drawback I see is that it wouldn't be great for hauling around. Some have suggested building an icebox into the garbage can by the sink. If that worked, I would get rid the plastic cooler and build a removable storage box in it's place. But all that means more work this season. The darn "mistress" has me working like crazy so far. On a good note, the new gudgeons have arrived, so I can give them to her. :) Worst case I just shove some ridgid insulation in the coleman until the season is over. Cheers, Roy
Yea but that will be one of the few upgrades you can keep when you go to bigger boat lol

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Yea but that will be one of the few upgrades you can keep when you go to bigger boat lol
Actually, you might have a point. (even with the LOL).

Currently having anything bigger than a C22 here, limits where I can sail.

Our next boat is planned to be a steel pilothouse cutter.
When that happens I could use the cooler to haul stuff from the store to the boat or similar, but it would likely be overkill.
All I've used on charters to haul food to the dock was a backpack. Hauling a cooler in and out of a boat, C22 or otherwise, seems like a PITA. For a fishing boat maybe...

w4swk

Mar 23, 2015
1991 Catalina 22 Wing Keel 15202 Nocona
Hi Roy
I'm not sure of the size but while in Sams Club last week, they had an Igloo that was CLEARLY a "knockoff" Yeti...just food for thought!:)

Ken

Hey woodster,

Pelican isn't an option size wise.
The Yeti Tundra 45 would work. it's a bit taller so that might be an issue, but at least it fits in the space. It's the $400 price tag that's a bit much. I mean really.... it's roto molded plastic with more plastic inside. Material cost is low. I've seen stuff like that in factories where they spit them out like crazy. Their margins are crazy. Here's hoping a company makes a similar clone and makes the price half that.

I figure I can build one for fairly cheap.
Foil sided EPS is easy to get, and I can probably get some off cuts from a home builder.
I have a sheet of 1/8" mahogany plywood plying around that I can stain to match the teak.
I even think I have the needed hardware lying around.
Worst case I'll haunt the local building materials recycling place.
A friend has offered an old cooltron.

End result would be a nicer cooler that looks like it should be on a boat.
The only drawback I see is that it wouldn't be great for hauling around.

Some have suggested building an icebox into the garbage can by the sink.
If that worked, I would get rid the plastic cooler and build a removable storage box in it's place.

But all that means more work this season. The darn "mistress" has me working like crazy so far. On a good note, the new gudgeons have arrived, so I can give them to her. :)

Worst case I just shove some ridgid insulation in the coleman until the season is over.

Cheers,
Roy

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Try looking at Dick's Sport stores, and ACE hardware. Also look around on the internet. I've seen them at Dick's for $20. ....

...On our "new design" C-22, I thought of converting the trash can area into a built-in cooler using 2" construction foam, and some WEST epoxy and cloth to seal, strengthen, and protect the construction foam. That would really make the "new design" boat into a proper little cruiser I think. But that's a project saved for after I get her back in the water.

Don
Yeah, They sell the current version of the original cooler for $24 here.
It's a POS. Worse than the original design. The top is less ridgid. Much cheaper quality.
I'd rather just stuff some foam + aluminum tape in the current cooler until fall.

Exactly my thoughts on converting the trash can area. It's a future project I think.
Not sure how I'd keep that area accessible though. Maybe a modified version of the trash concept, where it lifts out for access ? If it had a drain, you could disconnect it from forward dining bench access panel.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Hi Roy
I'm not sure of the size but while in Sams Club last week, they had an Igloo that was CLEARLY a "knockoff" Yeti...just food for thought!:)

Ken
Hmm.... I'll have to check that out next time I'm in the US.
You guys get all the cool toys LOL

Edit: I assume you are talking the "sportsman" model. Half the price of a Yeti or pelican if you buy it at Sams Club. not bad... Still too big though.. 55qt.

Online sizing shows the "Sportsman 40" is ok for height and width But the depth is couple inches too deep. Then again... that's total size. it might fit in the real world since the cooler looks like it tapers towards the bottom.

The original coleman unit is listed as: 25" L x 14" W x 13.5" H
There are wood block in the corners that, when removed, should help a bit.

Igloo has some stuff that may just work out well at a reasonable price, based on the fact that the actual bottom dimensions might be smaller than listed on their site.

Options might be:
Igloo Marine Breeze 48
Igloo Marine Ultra 36
Igloo Marine Ultra 48
Coleman Extreme 5 36 qt <--this looks like it might work the best.. the shape is smaller at the bottom than the top. So it might be small enough at the bottom to fit in the space.
I was hoping that someone had some first hand experience with one of those or similar.

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
I picked this Coleman up last year. It looks good, performs well enough, and is sturdy enough if you give it some wood trim. I wish there were a Yeti or equivalent in this exact size, but AFAIK this is the best cooler option out there unless you build one. I personally have no complaints with it.

Nov 19, 2008
Catalina C-22 MK-II Parrish, FL
You guys got me motivated to do a little work on my project "new design" C-22 today. So while I was working on the MK-II Yeti installation, I checked out my storage step on the project boat as well. I attached some photos from both boats. My only concern is on the MK-II, we use the storage compartment below the little table for our "spirits locker", so there's a dilemma we'll have to work on. Anyway, I've got several of those rectangle milk-crates,( no, I didn't steal them, I just happen to have an Uncle in the plastic milk-crate business, if you know what I mean), and it also fit in the cooler spot on the "new design" boat as well. I originally got this idea for storage on our Capri-18, and it just worked well, and I still had one of my plywood lids that I made.

Don

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Gene: That looks like the same one I tried at Walmart. Unless they make different quality versions for different markets, it is definitely flimsier than the original. Interesting to know that it holds up ok though.
Worst case, I'll pick one up for $25

We'll be doing a lot of overnights, with no access to ice during that period. I'd really prefer to have something that keeps ice for a full 3 days minimum.

Don: That's a good idea. Especially if I ever convert the trash bin to a real ice box.
It would be especially good for stuff that needs ventilation.
Say hi to your uncle Dean. ;)

Dec 11, 2010
MacGregor 26x Hayden AL

Bought this one at Kmart. Cut a piece of light colored plywood, put some pinstripe tape on it and stained it. Pulled the tape off and then sealed, sanded, and cleared it. It holds my 225 pounds just fine. I looked up the original igloo number and this cooler is still the same number as the original. I can't speak to the quality of the original because mine was missing when I got the boat.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
CCrane: Yup. that's the new one.
Check out Don's photo for the original. The lid is slightly different besides the latch missing on the new version.

Good idea on simulating the teak + Holly design. :)

Don: I've been thinking more about your idea of using a plastic crate in place of the cooler, if I modify the trash bin into a true "bigger boat" icebox.

For those that want the interior to be consistent/fancy, it would be a simple matter to make a lightweight wood box out of veneered plywood and some strips, that is the same height as the plastic crate. The crate/liner could then be lifted out and used to haul stuff back to the boat if needed.