Suggestions for daysailor for larger inland lake

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Richard

I want to purchase a sailboat for daysailing on a larger inland lake (Lake Okoboji in NW Iowa). I have a cabin on the lake so the boat will be used for day sailing so I don't need much of a cabin. The lake has large powerboats with considerable powerboat chop so some freeboard would be nice. Daytime winds in the summer average 10-15, sometimes 20mph. Will primarily sail with 2 adults with 2 growing boys, or occasionally 4 adults. Suggestions? Capri 16.5? 18? 22?

R

Rico

Fixed keel daysailer

Judging by your requirements, it sounds as though a good candidate for you would be a fixed keel daysailer with a boom height high enough to clear adult heads. The fixed keel would be a real advantage in the chop you mentioned, as well as a good safety feature should the two kids happen to be the entirety of the crew. From experience I can attest to the victoria 18 and Mc Vay Minuet as excellent choices for the situation you described. Don't rule out a cabin, even a crude one (as in the Victoria 18) as superfluous. Having one can really extend the time able to be comfortably spent onboard, both in terms of hours/day and months/year. Buying a boat is an excersice in compromise. To acheive a little more of one thing/advantage likely means diminishment in another capacity. This said, I strongy encourage you to research your decisions, be careful and conservative, and then get out and get sailing as best you see fit.

E

Erik

Daysailer recommendation

I really like my Capri 18. For me, it is a good compromise between storability, trailerabilty, launchability, comfort features, and sailing characteristics. It's not a particularily fast boat, acceleration-wise, but it is stable (especially on a lake), and I like the features and appearance of the boat. I've had 4 adults (including me) on it for a day trip, and it was comfortable. OTOH, you may want to consider a lighter boat of the same length, with a large cockpit and a smaller cabin area, if you don't plan on overnighting.

Status
Not open for further replies.