Suggestions for a Spinnaker

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Phil

I just purchased a Hunter 170 but it does not include a spinnaker... Where can I purchase one used? Do I need the Hunter specific model or will a general sized unit work? How much is a realistic price to pay?

M

Michael Collier

Try shopping

Ebay. Look under Ebay Motors, Boats, accessories, sailing gear. The gear for sale section of this site has one occasionally. You don't need a Hunter specific. Just make certain that the leech length does not exceed your mast height. Instead of a symetrical spinnaker, I'd go with an asymetrical, or gennaker. I believe they are also called cruising chutes. They're easier to handle, require less rigging and as effect.

G

Gregg

Spinnaker

Try the chandlery right here at this site. I just ordered mine today for my 33. The price was excellent and the service is outstanding!

P

phil

reply to spinnaker

great throught on ebay.... the mast on the 170 is 25', what about hardware to attach, raise, etc... the 170 has a furling jib.

M

Michael Collier

Attaching

or hoisting the spinnaker could present a unique set of problems IMHO. The 170 is a fractional rig as I recall. If there is not a halyard sheave at the masthead, you will need to install one. This might be as simple as attaching a block somehow. If you go with a symetrical spinnaker, you will need a spinnaker pole, a track and slide with loop attached to the mast. Beyond that you will need blocks for the sheet(s) and cleats. The best advice I could give would be for you to find a rigger at a boatyard near you. A Hunter dealer might be able to offer their assistance. Best of luck.

Rick

Oct 5, 2004
Hunter 420 Passage San Diego
spinnaker hints in manual

If you have a 170 owner's manual, check page 26C-3 for a diagram of the hardware layout in Hunter's optional kit. Also 26C-4 for a list of hardware and 26C-5 for the rigging layout. My 170 came with a spinnaker halyard sheave (bullet block) attached to the mast just below the masthead. Hunter's kit contains a small removable (for trailering) U-shaped sprit that mounts to the bow and positions the tack of the asymmetrical forward and clear of the forestay, jib and roller furling gear. When I bought my boat last summer the price of the Hunter kit was more than a grand, out of my reach. Besides, I want to be a little farther up the learning curve before I hoist any more dacron up that mast. Anybody who has a Hunter spinnaker kit on their 170 care to comment about its ease of use, and its effect on the speed and handling of the boat?

Status
Not open for further replies.