Suddenly needing some brake work

AaronD

Aug 10, 2014
Catalina 22 9874 Newberg, OR / Olympia, WA
You might be on to something! :laugh:
Ugh, @Gene Neill - I feel your pain. My brake adventure was a few years ago. Perhaps those notes will help you somehow.

I'm reasonably happy with the results. The reverse-lockout solenoid has never worked properly. Since I added a valve, I have an alternative, and I've not yet spent the time to debug it (and I waited way too long to consider a possible warranty replacement). The brass valve is corroding somewhat, but should last awhile longer (and they're cheap, so I can replace it when desired).

I elected not to spend the extra $$ for stainless discs, knowing that an upgrade to 5k axles (or even a new trailer) may be in my future. IIRC, you have a better trailer for your C-22, so you might decide to spring for stainless.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
So is it just me ... or do most people spend about as much time trailering as they do trouble shooting the lights and/or breaks on their trailer? I have yet to have a set of lights or breaks go past three seasons without a major retro.

Jun 25, 2004
Hunter 306 Pasadena MD
So is it just me ... or do most people spend about as much time trailering as they do trouble shooting the lights and/or breaks on their trailer? I have yet to have a set of lights or breaks go past three seasons without a major retro.
We totally overhauled the brakes on our H23 trailer in maybe... 2002? My memory of it is that one year later, they were again non-functional. Saltwater.

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
I bought this trailer new in 2015. This is the first time I've done anything more than change tires and grease the hubs. But now the brakes need a complete overhaul. It is NOT just the actuator. LOL I can reuse the hydraulic lines but every other component is in the same shape as the actuator.

I need it done by Sunday. Me and the admiral both have some days off, we have a dog sitter, and the weather looks good. I need a cruise so bad. It's been a really long time.

Trying to round up the parts locally on short notice has been a friggin comedy. Now steady rain has settled in. I have a huge tarp set up so I can get the job done if the parts ever materialize. I did find an actuator nearby and got that installed. :thumbup:

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Fort Walton Yacht Club, Florida
When you get them working you'll be the only guy in the neighborhood who has working brakes on their trailer and probably one of the few with lights that work.