Sucking sound.

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Paul Bryan

When getting pumped out, I hear sucking sounds coming from the head. The vacuum is pulling the water that was in the bowl out into the tank and then through the vacuum hose. Is this normal? The marina folks say they have never heard a sound quite like it and wonder if I have a problem. We are experiencing some severe odor problems and are wondering if there is a check valve between the bowl and tank that may have failed? Nice forum, good info.

D

DJ Dreyer

Vent

Check your vent. If you have an older model 34, they came with a fuel type vent that has a screen in it. If the tank overflowed once, the vent will clog up forcing air to go into the tank through the joker valve in the W.C. After pumping out my tank, I run clean water into the tank via the vent hose (made an adaptor for a hose fitting that connects to a 3/8 hose that fits into the vent thru hull). I do this while continuing pumping out and find this cleans the vent and tank out some.

J

Joe Knapp

Ditto on the Vent

It sounds like your vent is clogged. When you suck out the liquid waste, air has to come in from some place. If the vent is clogged it may suck air through the bowl. When using the head, is it hard to pump sometimes? Does it seem like the tank gets full too soon? If the air in the tank can't get out, then the waste has a had time getting in. A clogged vent will certainly cause odor problems. I have been there and done that as they say. Good Luck

P

Peggie Hall/Head Mistress

It's not normal

But it's prob'ly a good thing it's happening because I suspect your tank vent line is blocked and at least the tank is getting the necessary air through the toilet to keep the pumpout from collapsing your tank. So clear the vent line. However, if the joker valve in the toilet hadn't failed too, it wouldn't be happening. How old is the toilet? What is it (make/model)? And when--if ever--was the last time it was rebuilt? 'Cuz it sounds like it needs it, but depending upon age, make/model, it may make more sense to to replace the toilet toilet.

W

Wynn Ferrel

That's CASH leaving your wallet!

That sucking sound is the sound of CASH being sucked out of your wallet and/or checking account--- a sound with which we boat owners are all too familiar. :-} Wynn Ferrel S/V Tranquility

P

Paul Bryan

Was the vent!

Thanks for all the help! It was the vent screen that was plugged with stuff(?)and an unusually large spider. After cleaning out the vent hose and following the other tips in this forum I can now say that things smell wonderfull again. My daughters don't run to the deck after every flush. Paul Bryan '83 h34 WhisperIII

Status
Not open for further replies.