Sub floor tabbed to hull

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 9, 2005
Beneteau 373 Baltimore
Is the plywood sub floor tabbed to the hull on a 299. I need to replace mine and it looks like its been replaced once before. Also, should the short bulkhead next to the alcohol stove be tabbed to the hull. It isn,t now..Thanks,,

Jun 28, 2006
- - Boca Raton, FL
Sub Floor 299

The original subfloor (unpainted....unsealed plywood) was tabbed to the hull in my boat. It was totally rotted, and rotted the teak and holly plywood also....it absorbed moisture like a sponge. When I made the new floor I made it in three pieces running fore and aft....the center piece divided into three hatch boards for access to the bilge. I used brynzeel grade marine plywood, and coved it with battens made from 1/4" teak. They were screwed into the plywood from below using 3/4" stainless screws with finishing washers...if I say so myself....it was a beautiful job. If I can be of further help let me know.

P

Paul

Sub floor

My sub floor was tabbed to the hull but in good shape. I replaced most of the sub floor but tabbed the new sub floor to the old sub floor around the parameter. I also made the new floor in 3 sections, Port & Starbord fixed sections & Center Bildge boards.

Aug 9, 2005
Beneteau 373 Baltimore
Not the 30T Daydreams in Baltimore

Is there an S299 named Daydreams in Baltimore? Where are you located. My S30T Daydreams is at Anchorage Marina.

Aug 9, 2005
Beneteau 373 Baltimore
Did you tab the new floor to the hull sides?

My floor is also rotted along with the stringers, and some kind of wood and fiberglass mess was attached to the port side hull near the head. I don,t know what it was but its crumbled and rotted. I,m not sure if tabbing the new wood floor is necessary or not but I may do it anyway.

L

Len

Sub Floor (S25)

I whole heartedly second the suggestion to replace the sub-floor in pieces (I managed to get mine in with 2... but 3 probably would have been easier!). I tabbed every 4-6" wherever the plexi was exposed with round head #8s (I'm assuming this helps with structural integrity, cause I'm not adding any fiberglass!). Another advantage is you can take it all apart later if necessary (I only replaced half the rotted stringers below... couldn't wait any longer to get out there!). I was hoping to leave the others, but (thanks to another post) now know where that "mossy" smell comes from! I discovered cement (!) b/n the first two stringers forward of the mast, I'm thinking of levelling it out and putting ceramic tile on top - anyone tried that?! Finally, if you can't find marine ply here's an alternative: look for "Crazon" - it has a paper backing on one side and is the stuff they make road signs out of (i.e. 3/4" ply VERY resistant to the elements!).

May 11, 2006
- - Sarasota, FL
S37 Stringers

I've got a soft spot right in front of the galley so I'm sure it's rotten and there are other spots getting ready to soften up. None the less I've got to replace my sole. Does anyone think that I might have rotten stringers too? Has anyone seen rotten stringers on a S37?

Status
Not open for further replies.