"Stuffing Box"?

Mar 11, 2019
Hunter 28.5 Hilton Head, SC
I have a 1985 28.5' Hunter gifted to me 2 years ago. I've had the engine fixed, plumbing redone, etc. Now the marine mechanic says that the 'stuffing box" should be brass and not plastic and that it's leaking. This would require taking it out of the water to fix, $10k min. Has anyone had this issue or can share thoughts on this? I wanted to use a sealant to stop the leak??

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Most "older" Hunters came with plastic stuffing boxes. My '91 did. There's nothing wrong with them, although an old salt will prefer metallic. You probably just need to replace the stuffing and folks have done that on the water. If he can't/ won't, find someone who has. $10K is absurd! Sure, to replace it you'd have to haul it out, drop the rudder, disconnect and slide the shaft back, but $10K???

FWIW. I replaced my plastic stuffing box with a LasDrop Gen II dripless while it was on the hard.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
I agree.. The plastic box is OK and serviceable (unless it has suffered some kind of trauma).. maybe not ideal.. Many times, a new ring of packing can be added with the boat in the water .. should be in the neighborhood of $200 .. Ya might want to ask around for a second mechanic's opinion.. Ya probably want to have the shaft/motor alignment checked/adjusted at the same time.. a badly aligned shaft will cause packing leaks..
Welcome aboard, and good luck..

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
$10k min.
Oh my. That sounds like an exaggeration.
In you have the parts, which are not too expensive. It will be some bucks for the haul and a couple days in the yard.

Here is one possible idea. PYI Inc. | PSS Shaft Seal
A PSS shaft seal. Run about $300 depending on the size you need. You may want to do additional work on the boat while you have it out of the water. Bottom paint, prop work, strut, this project creep happens.

The issue is the plastic stuffing boxes fail. You can go to the same style but made of bronze. Then the box will not fail but you will have maintenance replacing the stuffing as needed.

Even the PSS shaft seal has to be maintained and serviced every 6-7 years.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Based on your description you have a Glenwood Marine Morse-type stuffing box as shown in their catalog page 35 and in the photo below. Suggest repacking and tighten it in the water before you haul the boat, which should cost < $500 for a haul-out for your size sailboat. You might find these threads helpful. Some have replaced the plastic stuffing box with bronze.

1602509228663.png

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
If you do decide to go the full monty either by yourself of a mechanic, be sure to include the cutlass bearing, and maybe a new shaft coupler. Depending on how much damage you do to the old one getting it separated from the shaft

Mar 11, 2019
Hunter 28.5 Hilton Head, SC
Thanks everyone for the replies! That helps a lot. i felt I'm being taken advantage of, new owner, single women... ugh! Now, anyone know a good mechanic in Hilton Head, SC?

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
You can do it yourself if you don’t mind a little work.

I replaced my prop shaft, replaced the stuffing box hose (my box was bronze so kept it - but repacked it).

if I was to do it over now, I may go with a Volvo dripless...way more simple (and cheaper) than the PSS type system.

But, I would repack the plastic one first,..

Good luck,

Greg