stuffing box packing query

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 5, 2005
- - Sydney, Australia 1989 Cat 30 #5628
I am having the packing replaced in the stuffing box. The guy at the marina (I don't have the time to do it myself...)tells me there is only room for two rings, I seem to remember that three are required, but he tells me that if he puts a third one on (which he feels would be preferable)there is not enough thread left to turn the nut, OR he has to put so much pressure on it that he fears it will be too tight and will overheat. I tried the archives, but couldn't find anything definitive on this matter. Does anyone know? He tells me there are only two in there now. Any help greatly appreciated - I don't want the boat to sink....:)

B

Big Joe

Two rings

Edward, I would make sure of two things. 1. Did he completely remove the old packing? 2. Is he certain he has chosen the correct size packing for your particular application? Having said that, I used only two rings of GFO on my boat, that's all I could fit in there. It has given me no worries in most of a year since I installed it. Also the gland often needs to be re-tightened a bit after some use and then it will be fine. This is an issue when you are not able to do it yourself, you may need to take it back for that final tweeking. Regards.

J

John

Stuffing box

I have replaced the packing several times in my 83 Cat 30TR. I found it takes 3, but it is difficult to get in. If you only put 2 in I found I had to tighten too much to get it so it would not leak at rest and drip properly when underway. Sometimes I have added 2 and then as the season goes on I add the third ring. I hope to change it again this year when it is on the hard to the new gfo type. I also find using a mirror and light helpful to make sure I get all the old packing out. I have the packing removal tool and don't like it and found a long thin screw with channel locks better, but you can scrape your hands since on an 83 Cat 30 it is in a very tight location. Good luck.

J

Jack

Three rings

Changed the packing several times in Cat 30, 1983 version. Each time it took 3 rings. Agree with Joe, there must be an old ring still in the nut. I use a 3 inch deck screw to pull out the old rings. They can be solid and hard if in there too long and tightened down. And, not a problem to do it in the water either.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
I don't have the time to do it myself...)

the amount of time you're spending here -- you could have done it yourself. Check the boat manual, it should tell you how many rings of the right size packing. Should be 3, should be 3/16 with your one inch shaft.

Sep 5, 2005
- - Sydney, Australia 1989 Cat 30 #5628
Thanks for your feedback

much appreciated. Will do it myself next time - what is next time? 1 year, 3 years? I run the engine perhaps 80 hrs a year.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Depends on what you used

Teflon or dripless. In either event, just keep checking to see if it's leaking (Teflon) or not (dripless) and not getting too hot to touch if it was tightened too much. Our experience is at least two years or if you get hauled for more than two days (it dries out). It's so easy to do that ti shouldn't be a hassle, just keep your eye on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.