Stuffing Box Adjustment

Jul 5, 2011
Oday 28 Madison, CT
Those of you with inboards, in particular older ones, I was wondering how often you find you have to make the adjustment to the packing gland and how "leaky" you allow it to get before you do so? In my case, it has been once a season, though last year in a shortened season I did not have to do so.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Sounds right. Kinda depends on how much use you give the engine. If you have enough water in the shaft log to keep the unit cool.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
Depends on how much it leaks, not the calendar. To state the obvious, a boat under power more than another will require more frequent adjustment or replacement.

Don’t be afraid of doing it while the boat is in the water. If your bilge pump can’t keep up with that flow, you just found a new project.

Jul 5, 2011
Oday 28 Madison, CT
Nowhere near a bilge pump keep up issue. I do keep track of how often it fires when i am board and not critical yet. On this boat due to space issues, the job is a pain in the ass and can only be done with a hammer which is why i was curious about other folks experience.

Sep 15, 2013
Catalina 270 Baltimore
I repacked my stuffing box in 2016. I think I adjusted it twice since then. It is due for repacking when I haul out this winter.

Feb 8, 2014
Columbia 36 Muskegon
It's a PITA on most smaller sailboats. One previous boat I had the fuel tank was mounted behind the engine above the shaft. There was no way to even see the stuffing box let alone reach it. You might consider a dripless seal, they're not totally maintenance free but a lot better than the traditional ones.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I repacked my stuffing box with GFO packing over the winter. I had to adjust it a few times this season...to dial it in....
first too loose and leaky. Then too tight, and temp was up on the box. About right now...no leaking at rest and temp while under power seems pretty close to ambient temp.

Once dialed in...don’t expect to have to adjust it more than once a year.

Greg

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
When you adjust move small amounts at a time. Always can move more....... once moved packing gets packed.

Jul 5, 2011
Oday 28 Madison, CT
Thanks guys. I always take just enough to stop the drip when not turning. Have done this most seasons for now 25 years on this boat; just wondered if once a season is typical and sounds like it is. So far no re-pack needed, another reason not to take too much each time I guess. I did look at a dripless system but would be horrible work to install in my tight space and of course $$$. Guess I will put up with the devil I know, maybe have to go to yoga the day before to limber up. Might put in a counter meter to see how often the pump is firing.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Sounds like you are doing okay. There's one suggestion that occures on here. A heat measuring gun. I bought one pretty cheap at a box store. The gun should show if your packing gland is too right and creating excess friction..

Jul 5, 2011
Oday 28 Madison, CT
Not a bad idea, but I know I am not generating any undue heat as I am taking just enough to stop the drip. I also always give the prop a spin after I tighten to be sure no more resistance than before. Still your idea is not a bad one at all.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Not a bad idea, but I know I am not generating any undue heat as I am taking just enough to stop the drip. I also always give the prop a spin after I tighten to be sure no more resistance than before. Still your idea is not a bad one at all.
Not a bad tool to have in the garage anyway. ;)

Jul 5, 2011
Oday 28 Madison, CT
Checked it today. Making one drip per second, engine off, so I am going to wait a bit I think. Takes quite a while before the pump fires at this rate.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I didn't think it was supposed to drip at all with the engine off. Only running.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Sounds like you are doing okay. There's one suggestion that occures on here. A heat measuring gun. I bought one pretty cheap at a box store. The gun should show if your packing gland is too right and creating excess friction..
What is a reasonable temperature range to look for (or what temp with a gun is way too hot)?

I backed my nut off a bit this week on a long motor home, but she still seemed hot (150F at the hottest spot). I kept backing the nut off and eventually she cooled down to 100F or less, but I was throwing a lot of water off the nut....too much for my liking. I tightened it up when I got back to port, and obviously need to tinker with more.

Greg

Jul 5, 2011
Oday 28 Madison, CT
I didn't think it was supposed to drip at all with the engine off. Only running.
You are correct. But if you adjust every time is starts to drip you may be doing more often than you like. Having said that, the leak must be watched and I am probably getting to the point where I will deal with it.

Jul 5, 2011
Oday 28 Madison, CT
Ugly no sailing day here today so good as any time to adjust it. 1/8 turn and no more drips. Not a fun job due to poor accessibility but once a year or so is bearable at least.