Stuck!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 22, 2008
Endeavour 32 Portland, Maine
Not often I get to recycle a post title so soon. I just got up to the Skidaway Narrows Bridge and they said they were having some problems with the bridge. I anchored to await developments and the tender called up few minutes later to say that he thinks it will be at least a day and a half, maybe more, before it is fixed.

CarlN

Jan 4, 2009
Ketch 55 Bristol, RI
Roger,

If the bridge really is stuck for over a day, consider going back 1/2 mile to Isle of Hope Marina. Great facility and people. You could anchor off or it might be worth a day's dockage for laundry and water. They offer a free loaner car. Downtown Savannah is just 15 minutes away. A great walking city with fantastic history.

Careful, one winter I got "stuck" at Isle of Hope Marina for the winter because I liked it so much.

Carl

Nov 22, 2008
consider going back 1/2 mile to Isle of Hope Marina.
It would be a long way back. I'm going north. (See previous posts.)

Besides, despite all the good things I've heard about it, I boycott marinas that charge 20 bucks just to tie up your dinghy for a quick walk ashore, even if it does, "Include ALL the facilities."

Five bucks without facilities, maybe. Twenty bucks with no choice, screw em. I wish more people would do the same for these places. It's universal in Florida, one of the reasons I don't like to go there. I hate to see it creeping up the coast.

Spread the word, BOYCOTT!

Nov 22, 2008
Moon River Entrance Soundings

Yes, that Moon River. I wonder why Mercer used the word "mile" instead of "smile" in the song? This little crack in the marsh is certainly closer to being wider than a smile than wider than a mile. It's one of the smallest rivers in GA. Many creeks are larger.

Anyway, having some time on my hands due to the bridge breakdown, I took some soundings to confirm the reported shoaling before anchoring for the night farther up in the deeper water.

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Fort Walton Yacht Club, Florida
Moon River

The song came first. The inlet was named to honor Johnny afterwards.

Nov 22, 2008
I looked up the lyrics. Do they ever resonate with my life right now.

Moon river, wider than a mile
I'm crossing you in style some day
Oh, dream maker, you heart breaker
Wherever you're goin', I'm goin' your way

Two drifters, off to see the world
There's such a lot of world to see
We're after the same rainbow's end, waitin' 'round the bend
My huckleberry friend, moon river, and me

(Moon river, wider than a mile)
(I'm crossin' you in style some day)
Oh, dream maker, you heart breaker
Wherever you're goin', I'm goin' your way

Two drifters, off to see the world
There's such a lot of world to see
We're after that same rainbow's end, waitin' 'round the bend
My huckleberry friend, moon river, and me

(Moon river, moon river)

I ran up the bridge and anchored nearby to at least have the reassurance of seeing guys in safety vests walking around with their hands in their pockets and puzzled looks on their faces. Bridge tender says, "Maybe today but, who knows?"

Dec 8, 2006
Oday 26 Starr, SC
Questions

A beautiful sight, we're happy tonight....

So what was in that package the lady sent Roger?
Will he make the News Years Eve party?
Will he make the Maine blizzard?
All this cannot be over a boat design...
They could have emailed the design questions...
This episode does ask questions...

Ed K
Currently in Vermont, USA

Nov 22, 2008
They could have emailed the design questions...
I can tell you have never worked with a committee.

I'd like to keep this forum about cruising and will occasionally mention aspects of my personal life that effect it. I would appreciate no reply posts speculating on my personal life beyond that. This isn't "The Truman Show".

Such posts will disappear under the moderator's mouse click in the future.

I hope you, and everyone else here, will have as merry a Christmas as mine will be peaceful.

May 7, 2004
Hunter 38 Little River, SC
Roger, thanks for the updates on this bridge, both on this forum and with the "Salty Southeast Cruiser's Net. We passed this way southbound in October and the bridge was having problems then with the highway crossing interlocking mechanism.

RTB

Dec 2, 2009
Hunter 36_ 80-82 Kemah, Texas
Five bucks without facilities, maybe. Twenty bucks with no choice, screw em. I wish more people would do the same for these places. It's universal in Florida, one of the reasons I don't like to go there. I hate to see it creeping up the coast.

Spread the word, BOYCOTT!
Hi Roger. Merry Christmas to you!

We're stuck too. Panama City, Florida. Um, it's very expensive here!!!!!!!!!

We are trying to get south where it should be warmer. Why are we stuck? -
Tonight
South wind around 20 knots increasing 25 to 30 knots in the evening becoming southwest 30 to 35 knots and gusty after midnight and becoming west around sunrise. Seas 4 to 6 feet building to 7 to 9 feet. Protected waters choppy increasing to very rough. Scattered showers and thunderstorms this evening...widespread showers and thunderstorms tonight. Some storms may be severe.
Wednesday
West wind 30 to 35 knots and gusty becoming northwest 20 to 25 knots late in the afternoon. Seas 9 to 12 feet. Protected waters very rough becoming rough.
Wednesday Night
Northwest wind around 20 knots becoming north 10 to 15 knots after midnight. Seas subsiding to 4 to 6 feet. Protected waters choppy becoming a light to moderate chop.
Thursday
North wind around 10 knots. Seas 4 to 6 feet subsiding to 2 to 4 feet in the afternoon. Protected waters a light chop.

It looks like another few days paying $1.30/ft.

Best wishes to you.

Ralph
http://www.sailblogs.com/member/brogdon/

Status
Not open for further replies.