Stuck stuffing box hose

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 25, 2012
Newport 27 Bellingham, WA
Hello,

I've got my 79 Newport 27 on stands in the yard. Needed to cut out my drivetrain which was toast. I'm stuck now because my old stuffing box hose is jammed between the hull and stern tube towards the rear of the tube. There's no clearance at all!

I've been trying to soften the rubber. My next plan of action was to try to use a hacksaw blade and try to saw through the hose (the remainder of the rusted hose clamps are stuck too.) The problem there is I don't want to cut into the hull or the fiberglass stern tube.

I've just now seen the post about "pushing" of the hull, specifically the rear of Newport hulls when the boat is not supported properly. Maybe this is the problem?

Has anyone reading this experienced this or have any insight into a solution?

Thanx in advance.

Jan 26, 2009
HUNTER 340 Raritan Yacht Club
Hello,

I've got my 79 Newport 27 on stands in the yard. Needed to cut out my drivetrain which was toast. I'm stuck now because my old stuffing box hose is jammed between the hull and stern tube towards the rear of the tube. There's no clearance at all!

I've been trying to soften the rubber. My next plan of action was to try to use a hacksaw blade and try to saw through the hose (the remainder of the rusted hose clamps are stuck too.) The problem there is I don't want to cut into the hull or the fiberglass stern tube.

I've just now seen the post about "pushing" of the hull, specifically the rear of Newport hulls when the boat is not supported properly. Maybe this is the problem?

Has anyone reading this experienced this or have any insight into a solution?

Thanx in advance.
You should be able to cut thru with a razor knife. Might take a little time but it will not damage the fiberglass.

When you are cut mostly thru, if you have the room, force a screwdriver under the hose and pry it off. Thats how I removed my old hose.

Reguards

Bill

Oct 26, 2005
- - Satellite Beach, FL.
I find a heat gun can work wonders when working with tight hose. The hose will probably have an embedded wire coil, so when you go to twist, make sure you twist in the direction to uncoil the wire.

Jun 7, 2007
Hunter 320 Williamsburg
Try a hairdryer

It's light, gets into small spaces and will soften up the rubber for cutting with a box knife. Fortunately you're on the hards, so no leakage threat. Also good for pre-heating the engine on a very cold morning.

CalebD

Jun 27, 2006
Tartan 27' 1967 Nyack, NY
If you really want to soften up that hose then pour boiling water on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.