Strut bolts leaking

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

James Marohn

Noticed that two of four bolts attached to the strut is leaking... The nuts were fairly loose so I tried tightening them but all it did was slow the leak. Any suggestions to stop the leak short of hauling her out of the water? I understand that this may actually be a symptom of a larger problem...the engine mount may be misaligned. Excessive vibration from the engine could have rattled the bolt (with the loose nut) quite a bit, enough to make the hole bigger than the bolt was deisgned for...Or is my mind a rambling fool? Anybody else experience similar situations? Tina & James Marohn Perelandra - Seattle

M

Michael Cohn

well...

I guess you could have a diver remove each bolt and then plug the hole from the bottom, somehow remove the water from the top, put a bunch of caulk on the bolt, and then stick it back it - quickly. Personally, I'd just opt for hauling the boat and being able to take a bit of time to fix this problem.. And yes, do check that engine alignment. This should not have happened. Good luck! MC

B

Brian Foster

Haul and fix

I have a 1980 Hunter 30 and had the same problem this summer. Four of th bolts either broke or came out. After taking on water, getting the holes plugged with pegs, I got it into a yard where I was hauled and new bolts were installed. It was caught in time so the engine alignment was ok and the shaft did not bend. Take care of it soon. You may want to check cutlass bearing while out and replace if necessary in the process. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.