Structural Stress?

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Lee Millard

I've just purchased a 1985 O'Day 28. I have discovered that were the forward shrouds (the ones that connect to the mast at the base of the spreaders and to the deck forward of the other two) have bulged the deck in a 6" X 4" square. The square pattern is obviously from the plate below the deck pulling up. Now the aft shrouds connect to a rod below the deck which I assume connects to the keel. I'm wondering if this is a common occurance in this boat or has this area been over stressed by a previous owner? Also if I have work done to repair this defect would it be wise to change the way this rigging connects below deck, perhaps to a larger plate or rods to the keel like the other shrouds. Any insite on this is appreciated.

J

Justin - O'day Owners' Web

Get it checked,

Lee, I have seen what you describe on a number of boats, though never an o28 per se. In my experience it tends to be caused by the core having gotten wet and softened a bit by water penetrating the break in the glass the chainplate runs through. In any event, you don't want it to pull out. I would suggest having it looked at to see the extent of the repair needed. You might look at ways to tie the chainplates into the hull with whomever you check it out with, but bear in mind that the boat was designed to work as built and modifications may mess up the balance of the rig, especially since you will likely have to most the chainplates to acheive the tie - ins. Good luck with it Justin - O'day Owners' Web

R

ray

structual reconstruction photo/instructions.

Lee,Hi my name is Ray.Check out ODay Sialboats unifical web page.On that page click ODay owners web ring web site.Then at bottom of page click author's bio.At left side of page click reconstrution.Great info and photo of your problem hope this helps .Sorry I could't give you just the web address still trying to figure this computer thing.Good luck Lee.Ray (O'DAY 30 Southernnight)

E

Edward Yontef

deck rot

Drill a 1/4 inch hole near exit plate of the stay in question,just deep enough to pierce to deck.reach into this hole with a small pick and remove of of the wood core,see if it is wet.IF REALLY WET,CONTACT ME AT OperaEd@aol.com

Status
Not open for further replies.