Structural? Replacing salon table.

Jan 25, 2007
Cal Cal 33-2 cape cod
Hi folks, I took out the original salon table on my Cal 33, we seldom used it, the leaf to open the table to port side was too big for our use and restricted access around table. I'd like to put a new smaller table centered around starboard curved settee. Question. Do you think that table support post is structural to the boat?

Attachments

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
It looks like it is there just for the table and a hand hold. I would look for a clue by looking under the floor if you can. Is it bilge underneath? I doubt a structural post that carries load from the coach roof would be secured by the thin plywood floor if there is no direct support underneath the floor. The pole also looks a little thin to carry any load from the roof. But, I don't know the boat design, so I'm just offering comments. :(

Nice interior, though!

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
As @Scott T-Bird says, look under the floor. If the pole is secured to something substantial, then it might well be structural. The boat has a keel stepped mast, so it is not a compression post for the mast loads. However, it might be supporting the middle of the cabin top to keep it from sagging. How substantial is the cabin top? Are there other supports for the cabin top?

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I think @Scott T-Bird and @dlochner have the right idea. See what the two ends of the post are connected to. If the top of the post sits under an athwart beam and the bottom sits on the bilge, then it might be structural. Otherwise, it is probably not.

Jul 26, 2009
. . .
The 33-2's are such nice boats, and yours looks to be in great condition! If you're ever looking to sell...

I don't believe it's structural but I say that only because the compression post on the 28-2 passes through the sole and is secured directly to a substructure tabbed to the grid. Agree about looking beneath but structural or not, don't discount the post as a handhold coming down the companionway and when moving around below decks while underway. Not to side track your plan, but did you consider cutting different sized leafs for the existing table (maintaining the length of the center line edge)? I used our old table to template a new design out of cherry. Really dressed up the salon compared to the original laminate top.

Fun project for the off season

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
The 33-2's are such nice boats, and yours looks to be in great condition! If you're ever looking to sell...

I don't believe it's structural but I say that only because the compression post on the 28-2 passes through the sole and is secured directly to a substructure tabbed to the grid. Agree about looking beneath but structural or not, don't discount the post as a handhold coming down the companionway and when moving around below decks while underway. Not to side track your plan, but did you consider cutting different sized leafs for the existing table (maintaining the length of the center line edge)? I used our old table to template a new design out of cherry. Really dressed up the salon compared to the original laminate top.

Fun project for the off season
That was my first thought, too. One of the few changes I made below to the layout of my boat was to cut 14" off the length of the double drop leaf table(both the leaves and the center section).

Pretty easy project on most tables as you can save the fiddles and hardware going to a small size.

Like most boats, mine was designed to sit up to a crew of six for meals (not too unusual for a boat designed for ocean racing in the 60's).

But the table rarely ever seats more than 4, yet that original length constricted space below, 24/7.

The re-size has been a perfect compromise for our use. Plus, the bronze trunk and pipe up to the house top is integral to the linkage for the centerboard so that stays and makes sense for a table anchor.

Jan 25, 2007
Cal Cal 33-2 cape cod
Thanks all for the feedback, yes, as a handrail it is useful. I have a really nice smaller table that could go along the same line, it has an adjustable pedestal, I'll have to see if it works because the leafs are smaller. I suppose I could off-set from the pole, see how it looks. Yes, Boat projects are fun, hopefully I can finish this one before spring. As always your advice/comments are much appreciated.

Attachments

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
William,
My Cal 35C is open at the bottom of the Companion Way steps. No supports required. My friend with a Cal 31 also has no support. Generally I understand the vertical post place in that are is to provide a hand hold or support something in that space, like your table. The deck is plywood cored, and the mast if not through the deck has a compression post beneath the deck stepped mast.

Jan 25, 2007
Cal Cal 33-2 cape cod
I looked carefully today, most likely not structural. Thanks for info jssailem, so I might keep the post as a handrail, I'll have to cut off the bracket, should work. During demo I damaged old table, so here's the plan with the new table. Pedestal is adjustable, without cushions it looks like it should fit.

Attachments

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Does it go up and down?

I am looking for a base that can be lowered to 14.5" and goes no lower than the floor bae. I have no room beneath the floor.

PaulK

Dec 1, 2009
Sabre 402 Southport, CT
Installing a new handhold on the overhead might enable you to remove the pole that is no longer needed to support the table. We have a rails running down the centerline and sides of our cabin top, and no poles.

Last edited:

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
What is directly below the table pedestal base? Is their a hull rig rib. I would want to mount the table on something that is not just drilled into the sole. If you're maneuvering in a seaway, you might get thrown against the table. You want that pedestal to talk all that loan and not think about it.