Strange gear shifting event, Universal M-12, Hurth HBW50

Jul 5, 2011
Oday 28 Madison, CT
Yesterday I missed my slip which is in a river perpendicular to the current. Not a big deal but I had do a series of quick gear shifts to get out of a tight area and get set up again. In doing so something strange happened. In one of the shifts, I went from reverse to forward quickly, gave it a pretty good amount of throttle and felt the engine rev, but detected I was not moving, reduced the throttle, felt a “clunk” and then I was moving again normally. Took another try at the slip, reversed to stop, etc. and all normal. I have never experienced this delay before. Something to be concerned about or possibly normal given how quickly was was shifting reverse-forward-reverse-forward, etc.? Keep an eye out or take action now?

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
Look for the simple stuff first.

The shift mechanism is mechanical and cable actuated. Check the cable. It requires periodic inspection and lubrication. After you remove it, check the linkage for proper throw.
Hopefully that and not the transmission….

Jul 5, 2011
Oday 28 Madison, CT
Thanks, Don. I remember two rules with these trannys: First, do not slowly ease the lever in to gear, i.e. shift firmly and quickly. Second, I also recall that it is best to pause for a second in neutral when moving from reverse to forward or vice versa. I did not violate the first rule , but may well have violated the second one as I was in an "urgency" mode, coming close to touching another boat.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
two rules with these trannys
I seem to remember hearing this somewhere…..

Failure to follow the rules may cause systems to fail.

Might have been during flight training.

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
I assume you have two engine control levers involved; one for shifting and a separate one for throttle. For tight maneuvering, a single lever dual function controller works far better. You only need one hand and you must go through idle and neutral to reverse direction. Reversing direction is fast and foolproof.