Stowage of dinghy fuel for the 380

• Thread starter Myrna from Washington
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Myrna from Washington

We are outfitting our new Catalina 380, hull 214, Windarra. One of the things that we need to decide on is the type of outboard for the inflatable dinghy. We would prefer to buy the 5hp 4-stroke, but the problem of where to stow the gas when the dinghy is stowed on deck or folded up. There are the two nice lockers on the transom (each side of the swim step), but the size is just a bit too small for any gas containers that could be used for the 4-stroke engine. We have thought of getting a couple of 2 gallon containers, but then how do you put the proper fittings on one of them to attach to the motor for fueling? Has anyone out there have any ingenious solutions?

P

Peter Loomis

Gasoline stowage for outboard

I just bought a Nissan 5 hp 4 stroke for my dinghy on my C380 and am very happy with it. I store the gas on top of the anchor chain in the anchor well and store the motor on the starboard stern rail.

E

Ernie A

Check the swim platform lockers for drains...

...'cause if there -- you've got the perfect place to stow the gas. Hi, Myrna-- Congrats on your new boat. Keep in mind that gasoline is a dangerous and volitile fluid that needs to be kept in a locker with a botton drain so that the heavier-than-air fumes "drain" away. My C-42 swim platform lockers have drains, so I keep a small (1 Imperial gallon) container in one and there's room in there for at least another. It's also the area where gassing up the dinghy occurs. A 4-cycle outboard is rather ecconomical on fuel so a gallon or two will likely last long enough. I doubt that my 5HP uses more than 4 gals per season and that's with two very active teenagers using the inflatable. Ernie April

E

Ed Robbins

Fuel Storage

I keep my fuel container in the space under the helmsman seat. I have a remote tank and it fits nicely in this area. I would never store gasoline in any locker be it anchor or swim platform. Gas fumes are very explosive and and any container should always be keep in a well ventilated area.

Status
Not open for further replies.