Storm Management

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Melody Miller

We got caught in a storm yesterday. It came up very suddenly and by the time I realized that winds (over 20 knots) were going to persist, it was too late to reef. We furled in the jib, lowered the main, and motored back in. (On my boat I can lower the main while **sitting** on top of the cabin, but reefing requires that I spend some time standing up to tie the reef points. In 22 knots winds didn't want to be standing up!) I thought of dropping the anchor but that would have required going up to the bow. The whole storm didn't last more than 30 minutes but we got soaked! Looking back now, could we have (1) simply furled in the jib, (2) let the out main all the way (to spill the wind) (3) dropped the *spare* anchor off the *back* of the boat, then (4) go below to ride out the storm? This would have saved us from going up on the cabin (to drop the main)which was risky, and allowed us to stay relatively dry so that we could resume sailing once the storm passed. Thanks Melody

C

Charlie Estrella

Never anchor the boat from the stern

When you anchor a boat from the stern, you will start to take water in the boat as the waves from the storm start crashing over the transom. Boats have sunk when put in this predicament. What you want is a "storm anchor." This is a parachute type anchor that attaches to a bow cleat and keeps the bow facing the weather. You don't sit still but it slow the boat down considerably. At this time you can safely go below and ride out the storm.

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
Good to drop main

Depending on the conditions, there's alot to be said for dropping the main instead of easing it to spill wind. If the storm winds were to shift (not uncommon) you could find your self in real trouble with unintentional gybing leading damaged rigging, or worse. I do understand your anxiety about going forward to mess around with it, though. If your sailing waters are prone to these quick, violent storms, perhaps you want to install a couple jack lines and invest in a harness or two. That way you can go forward with some reasonable security to handle the main, or reef. I think that would be the better solution. I've never used a sea anchor so I can't comment on that, but I'm sure some other folks on this site have. Thanks for sharing the story - it's an interesting one.

R

Richard

heave to

You have the option to heave to! This allows the boat to ride calmly if you are not drifting down on any land. It stops most of the boats relative motion and allows it to ride easier. Folks do this all the time in storms. You might want to read up on how to do it. The key is to tack the boat, but not release the jib so it is backwinded. The rudder must go to windward and you may have to sheet out or in the main some to achieve the perfect ballance. The jib (backwinded) prevents the nose from heading up into the wind and the main prevents it from falling off too much (rudder also). I have done it in 20Knots or so. That is an average day on San Francisco Bay.

G

Gary

execllent info

Melody The reply by Richard is excellent. By practicing heaving to you can (in strong winds) calm the situation down. I have practiced this with other members of my fleet and it really is a great tactical move. We have been in 25 knots of wind on S F Bay and heaved to and had "LUNCH". the first time I was showed it, I was truly suprised. Richards explanation of how to do it is exact. The first time you do it will amaze you and you will have a stragety the next time you get caught in strong winds.I have read articles of just how high of a wind velocity this maneuver will work in but, thankfully, never had to experience those speeds.... good luck!

B

Brad Elbein

Aerobic Sailing

Melody, it sounds like you've been working hard at having those learning experiences that are great to look back on and give thanks you survived. Here's my rule of thumb: You can always raise the sails again later. A slightly more detailed analysis: a. Do I have running room? If yes: (1) fall off into a very, very broat reach (this lowers the apparent wind and your heart rate); (2) lower the jib while it's blanketed by the main; (3) start the engine and head back up into the wind; (4) lower the main. Once I've lowered the main, I tie the reef points, and decide if I can raise the main again. b. If I DON'T have running room: (1) Start the engine, because I'm going to need it for steerage; (2) head up into the wind until I luff both sails; (3) drop the jib (never, never drop the main first, because you still have control under main alone, but never have control on most points of sail on the jib alone); (4) then drop the main and tie the reef points. The thing about heaving to is a great idea. However, you need to practice it before you get into a situation where you need it. I tried it one day when I was just practicing and could not get my boat to balance. I'll keep working on it--I'm just glad I didn't try it for the first time in the conditions you describe. The other problem with heaving to is that it is the most effective tactic in places like the Southern Ocean: where there's no other traffic and no land to run into for a few thousand miles. I wonder what my liability would be if I heaved to and went below in the Chesapeake and drifted into someone, or if someone hit me. Those are my thoughts, anyway. Brad Elbein C30 "Nessie"

Status
Not open for further replies.