Storm Jib on Cat42 Mk11

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

David Irvine

I want to fit an inner removeable forestay to take a storm jib. Has anybody any experience of this? Where do you attach to foot of the stay? Can it go on the bulkhead that takes the anchor windlass?

M

Mike s/v Chute the Breeze

Hardware

Dave, Most boats I've been on including my 38 have a short track installed on the fore deck..(36" or so) and is used with a quick release handle so it can be swung back to the mast during the use of the spin pole..but it also keeps the mast from pumping.As for being removeable, the head is anchored somewhere around midmast..and if you are using it for a storm jib, then you would have to go aloft and install the head?? I always used my boys for this trick but they have grown up and smartened up now:) Bottom line is it won't be easy to remove completely, you will have to drill holes in that beautiful 42 and all of us that I know that have all the hardware installed now, just use the roll furling and let out what we need.. Good Luck Mike

E

Ernie A

Wanted by many, not recommended by Catalina

Hi, Dave-- In MAINSHEET, the Catalina Owners Magazine, there have been a few articles over the past few years about installing an inner forestay. You should know that Gerry Douglas (the C-42 designer) does not recommend, even strongly discourages, installation of an inner forestay. Even so, I've been thing a lot about an installation. When it has been done, an I-bar has been snuggly fitted, tabbed, and glassed against the under side of the deck just fwd of head bulkhead and aft of the anchor winch. Someone recently recommended a carbon-fiber I-bar. A through deck fitting is tied into the I-bad and to receive the forestay release lever. The head of the inner forestay stay is usually attached to a hound anterior to the 2nd spreader and an halyard sheeve cut into the mast just below. I've also heard of some nasty injuries from the lever. Much as been said about the need for running backstays to keep the mast from pumping. However, with the C-42's swept-back modified B&R rig and with diagonals leading to the inner end of the 2nd spreader and 1st spreader, it has been said that runners may not be necessary. I would tend to agree that they are not needed unless your thinking of a lot of green water. Hope this helps-- Ernie April (WindCatcher C-42 #618)

D

David Irvine

Thanks for interesting reply.

Ernie I would be interested to know what objections Catalina have to fitting this stay. I intend to do a trans Atlantic passage from Canaries to St Lucia. Hard to imagine not having storm jib provision. David Irvine

E

Ernie A

Go to the source

Hi, David-- I think the best thing to do is call Catalina and talk with Gerry Douglas. He designed the 42-Mk II and from all I've heard is very willing to discuss such questions. In fact I would not be surprised is Frank Butler himself took your call. I suspect it must be an issue of liability. You would think that at least they would have included a strong-back or otherwise reinforced spot for installation. I have a fairly extensive collection of MAINSHEET magazines. I'll look back through them and find some references for you. Drop me an email and we can continue this direct. Ernie April ewa1@columbia.edu

Status
Not open for further replies.